No announcement yet.

Some interesting and probably new ideas to naval combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

wow. I might have to locate those old Civ 1 diskettes and load up the game -- just for fun.
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Yes Xorbon is right. I remember my brother once lost 3 bombers on a settler... he then attacked with his carrier (cause the settler was on the shore) and lost that as well... Probably the strongest settler in history... or probably the hill defense bonus
      Civ1 was really a huge pile of garbage combat-wise.

Btw, I think Civ1 is available for free download already, no?

Comment

Those were the days...when "phalanx beats armor/artillery/bomber/battleship" was common.
        "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

I saw the AI use carriers in Civ3 Vanilla once. Or was it PTW? Anyway I don't think I have seen it in C3C...
          Can't remember..it's rare anyways...
          Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Carrier ops were fun in Civ. You could operate 16 planes from a single, 8 plane carrier.
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

?? I only remember being able to operate 8 planes per carrier in Civ1...was there some trick I don't know about?

But there's a lot that I don't remember from the early 90's...
              Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

I assume he meant that you'd have two groups of 8 bombers. You'd send one group out to bombard or do recon, and land the other group on the carrier. On the next turn, the roles get reversed. That's a pretty neat trick. I never thought of that before.
                "Every time I have to make a tough decision, I ask myself, 'What would Tom Cruise do?' Then I jump up and down on the couch." - Neil Strauss

Comment

This must have worked with Civ2 as well then, no?

Comment

Originally posted by Xorbon
                    I assume he meant that you'd have two groups of 8 bombers. You'd send one group out to bombard or do recon, and land the other group on the carrier. On the next turn, the roles get reversed. That's a pretty neat trick. I never thought of that before.
                    Oh yeah! I almost forgot that the bombers in Civ1 stayed out a turn. I don't remember if I did that trick or not.
                    Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa
                      This must have worked with Civ2 as well then, no?
                      The carriers in Civ 2 didn't have any carrying limits if I remember correctly. (I had Civ 2 Gold, if that matters.) It's been a while, so it's possible I'm wrong.

But yeah, assuming I'm wrong, that should have worked in Civ 2 as well. Bombers in Civs 1 and 2 worked the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X