question about tech trading.........

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• question about tech trading.........

Of course it's necessary to get a steady amount of wealth,but i have some doubts if it is always convenient as well!!!!
    for instance ,in one of my game i started (i use the romans quite often) rather good,managed to stay ahead of the others civ for quite a while(the others in the continent i started with were egyptians,chinese,japanes and greeks as far as scientific discovery(i had 2 or 3 reasearch ahead of them),but after a few turns even the chinese that a moment before didn't have a single penny o tecnology compared to me suddenly had republic monotheism and knight code!!!!
    but how did they get that in almost no time, considering that the other civs were far away on other continents and that with the cartografy tha galley always sink in the open sea?
    and haw come that i exchanged my tec with them but the others civ are most of the time unwilling to do that except at the early stage of the game?
    which techs i should exchange and whic others i'd better not to keep ahead of them?

In C3C, Map Making allows galley with 3 moves. If any of the civ on the other land are Seafaring, they get +1 move. If anyone makes Lighthouse, they get +1 move.

So it would not be a shock to find someone found a path and made contacts.

Once contact is made, techs are cheaper to research and cheaper to sell if more civs know that tech.

A civ such as China could get tech in exchange for alliances, RoP other things. Greeks are Scientific and get a free tech when entering a new age.

After the initial meetings and exchanges, the AI tends to trade less with you, because you cannot afford the price it thinks the techs are worth. It also will not trade for gpt, if your rep is not bad.

Try to test the rep by offer in good gold for gpt deal. If that ails, your rep is bad, if not you do not have the income for a gpt tech deal. Try to lower your sliders to zero and make the deal.

The last question is very much game dependant. In the main I would not hold a tech that is soon to be devalued, unless it was a real key one.

If I am at the point where no one ever has any money, they I either keep the techs or offer them for lux or alliances.

Comment

I was talking about a game at warrior level(i 'm just a little bit more than a newbie yet!) ;
      i usually win almost all the time at captain level,but from the warrior onwards begins the trouble for me........
      when you say key one to which tech do you refer ?
      is in the early stage of the game(the tech on the first page i think) maybe literature(for the great library) the most important?
      and what about the others?

Comment

No. Key techs are those that allow very good units or some wonders.
        In the ancient Era: Map Making, Construction (because aqueducts) and Mathematics, suposing that anyone can build Statue of Zeus.
        In the Middle Ages: Chivalry (Knights Templar, Magnetism and Millitary Tradition.
        In the Industrial Age: Nationalism, Espionage, Industrialization, Amphibious War, Replaceable Parts, Mechanized Transportation, Refining, Flight, Sanitation.
        Don't worry about lose in Warlord, all you need is practice (actually, I usually play at Warlord or sometimes even in Chieftain).
        "We, civilizations, now know that we are mortals...", Paul Valéry

Comment

kiurkugord I am no sure what warrior and captain levels are, sounds like CivII names.

Chief is the first level, Warlord is the second, then Regent, Monarch, Emperor, DemiGod, Deity and Sid.

Elda king pretty much covered the key techs. In the main it is one that can be used to hurt you or your interest. That would be units, wonders, free techs and Steam (rails).

In the ancient age, I would want to preserve my shot at Phil, so Writing would be held for a time. IOW I sell/trade it when it looks like it will soon be discovered by others or I am about to get Philo anyway.

Government techs in AA as important to the AI. I would not sweat Map Making as the AI will jump on it quickly.

In practice I may trade any tech if conditions warrant it, but something like Computers, I would not peddle until it was in most civs hands, if even then.

Edit to add the dropped T in writing.
          Last edited by vmxa1; May 3, 2005, 12:26.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
            kiurkugord I am no sure what warrior and captain levels are, sounds like CivII names.
            i think he's translating from a euro version
            strange that warrior seems to come in above captain

the key techs... In the main ... that would be units, wonders, free techs and Steam (rails).
            strange, i was expecting you to say it was the ones that have a high value in trade.

ancient age, i have been finding lately that maths & currency seem to get the best deals for the least effort. conversely, the ai seems to go phhmuagh at my attempts to trade writing (caveat. i tend to deliberately avoid philo on most occassions)

...so Wriing
            Wriing?!! ..why don't you give me a call?

(somebody shoot me,..please)

IOW I sell/trade it when it looks like it will soon be discovered by others
            what indications do you actually use to tell if the others are close to discovering a tech?

Government techs in AA as important to the AI.
            this is one reason i don't bother researching them most times until everyone has them. most times they are available too soon (ie i'm not ready for a change in gov't at that stage).
            i still can't bring myself to pay the exorbitant ai prices. but at least the cost to research falls when everyone else has it.
            i'm generally desperate to get feudalism by then anyhow and the govt ones aren't required techs

now if only there was a tech to let you build pikes without having those irritating med infantry types hanging about.
            I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

[QUOTE] Originally posted by vmxa1

Chief is the first level, Warlord is the second, then Regent, Monarch, Emperor, DemiGod, Deity and Sid.

I was wrong about that!
              the levels are those you say.................
              I was referring to warlord level(the second one)

Comment

Actually, warrior and capitan levels aren't in Civ II either.

In Civ II, it's

Chieftain
                Warlord
                Prince
                King
                Emperor
                Deity
                1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                Templar Science Minister
                AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

You can figure the roughly where they are in the research path. One way is to offer to trade it and see what they will pay. As they get closer they will offer less and soon will not be interested.

I do not go through that motion any longer as I have a good feel for it.

Sorry about the dropped T in writing.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                    Actually, warrior and capitan levels aren't in Civ II either.

In Civ II, it's

Chieftain
                    Warlord
                    Prince
                    King
                    Emperor
                    Deity
                    Ah Ah and in Civ1 it's

Chieftain
                    Warlord
                    Prince
                    King
                    Emperor

Just keeping the legacy alive.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                      about the dropped T in writing.
                      sorry, .. there was something in the air that night.
                      I don't know what I am - Pekka

Comment

Working...
                      X