Army Size

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Size

Is there any way I can alter the game to limit the size of the AI's army? I want them to stop producing so many troops, as its just plain annoying. I'm running Civ III/PTW and hopefully soon Conquest. Infact, I'd rather set a cap on the number of units in a city, if I could. But I'll take any limiting agent to lower troop production and make the AI save more money.
    Visit my site! Here!

Main part of the site isn't up, but the forums are nearly done. Here

After we pounded them to raise the limit? It is mainly limited by support cost. I suppose you could alter the free support and the cost.

Comment

Depends upon what level your playing.

You might be playing a level that the AI already has no extra support.

But I note that attempts to reduce AI support has more of a lower the AI science rate effect than a reduce the army size one.
      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

If you make it so no free support for any form of government, that should reduce the numbers some what.

You probably would need to make support cost more as well. This is because some forms do not have unit support already and you can still field lots of pieces.

The best way is to just deal with the numbers you are currently seeing. The most I have seen is about 2000 for a single civ, but it is normally around 1200 for the top dog and 400-800 for the rest.

This is huge maps on sid. At emperor the numbers rarely get over 200 in my experience.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
          ... The most I have seen is about 2000 for a single civ, but it is normally around 1200 for the top dog and 400-800 for the rest.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Yeah it can get ugly if you are going for conquest. That last civ gets to really beef up on units.

It is funny to see them not be able to fix a road or clean pollution as they cannot build a single worker. Max support, the game scraps those lowly workers.

I help them out by killing a few hundred on the first combat round.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
              It is funny to see them not be able to fix a road or clean pollution as they cannot build a single worker. Max support, the game scraps those lowly workers.
              In that case....BOMBERS!!!

On a monarch game in the modern era I had fun reducing the size of many cities, and putting them into civil disorder (bomb luxuries) with my squadron of bombers!!!
              James Dean Shepherd
              Jesus lives! :)
              ----------------------------

Comment

It is not uncommon to find a civ on an island with maybe 10 cities and some will have 40+ and the big ones over 60+ units.

I am not going to build that many bombers. I just start 10-15 MA armies hitting it until it folds. I may use another bunch of calv armies if they are at hand, once the toughest defenders are gone.

Otherwise I will use individual MA's. Eventually the city caves. The have no access to replace lost units, only drafting. I block all roads. No arties, not enough room in the boat and they cannot be airlifted, but MA's can.

Comment

yup, even on non sid levels, those secluded island civs are a pain in the ass. If only the AI could mount an amphibious assault to drain off the excess...I love landing vastly superior units just to see them swarmed by a hundred horses and swordsmen.

Comment

All nothing a few nukes couldn't handle.
                    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                    2004 Presidential Candidate
                    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
                    X