Beaker Formula?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beaker Formula?

Should a base 6 tech on a standard map at Regent level take over a hundred beakers to research? That doesn't sound right to me, but I have no idea what the modifiers in the formula are...
    Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

This is the one I've found that works...for PTW. I haven't seen an update for Conquests, but I believe it is the same or close to the same. If anyone has the updated one, I'd appreciate seeing it too.

[WorldSizeFactor * [10 * EditorCost * (1 - M/[1.75N])] / (10 * LevelFactor)]

WorldSizeFactor = (from tiny to huge): 160, 200, 240, 320, 400

LevelFactor = (from chieftain to deity): 10, 10, 10, 9, 8, 6

EditorCost: the tech-specific number that can be found in the Editor.

M is the number of civs that you have contact with that have the tech.

N is the total number of civs left in the game.

Square brackets mean a rounddown (truncation) of the result.

Comment

Ah, thanks Rhoth, I haven't been able to find that.

Rommel: 24*6 sounds like more than 100 beakers to me.

Comment

Assuming the numbers on nethog's reference sheet are a tenth of the editor's, that would come out in the ballpark at least. (I must have been thrown by having too few tribes for that size map...)
        Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Is the number fixed for the whole time you are researching or can it change based on world events?

It looks like if I want to reduce the beaker cost of the next tech, I should wipe out a civ that does not have that tech. Interesting. After I conquer a civ's mainland, I often make peace and leave their little island holdings alone. If they're backwards technologically, it looks like I should just finish them off instead. However if they are advanced, leaving them alone is the right thing to do. Of course, if I'm the tech leader, it doesn't make any difference either way.
          Last edited by gunkulator; April 12, 2005, 10:23.

Comment

Wiping them will slightly help your research rate for the rest of the game and hurt the AI rate. Not to mention that if you captured any of their cities, it prevents flips.

Comment

Originally posted by gunkulator
              Is the number fixed for the whole time you are researching or can it change based on world events?
              It can change. For example if someone you know finished research on a tech you were researching then the time it takes you to finish research is lessened per the formula.

Comment

that's why I never destroy completely a civilization - it hinders the research of the other teams

Comment

24 * 6 = 144

Originally posted by Kloreep
                  Ah, thanks Rhoth, I haven't been able to find that.

Rommel: 24*6 sounds like more than 100 beakers to me.
                  1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Wiping a civ out changes the values given on the discount for knowing civs that already have that tech.

So no affect when reseraching a tech no one else has.

0 / X == 0 / (X - 1) when X >2.

As for reseraching techs someone else has:

Civs that are behind the civ that got wiped out are hurt. One less player they know with it.

Civs that are ahead of the civ that got wiped out are helped. The percentage of civs knowing what they are reseraching has gone up thanks to the wipe out of a lacking civ. Same applies to a civ with identical techs to one being wiped out.

Civs is similar tech positions but different techs though are hurt from the trade oppertunity being wiped out.

Originally posted by vmxa1
                    Wiping them will slightly help your research rate for the rest of the game and hurt the AI rate.
                    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                    Templar Science Minister
                    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                    X