Resource Preservation in the Late Game

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resource Preservation in the Late Game

This idea may always have been (1) blindingly obvious to everyone but me or (2) wrong which is why I'm posting.

In the late game, when workers are otherwise basically done with their work, should roads on resource tiles be pillaged at the end of each turn to prevent resource exhaustion?

I'm thinking particularly of cases where you have one oil or one uranium.

Does leaving the resource without a road each turn really solve the resource disappearance problem?
    Illegitimi Non Carborundum

IMHO the disappearance of resources has nothing to do with roads or whether they are being worked. Look in the editor under resources and you'll see a disappearance ratio number. That's the chance each turn that the particular resource will "disappear" (it will actually turn up somewhere else on the map). Some, like horses, will never disappear. Others, like uranium, have a higher chance of going away.
    You can edit this number if you're making a mod.
    "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

Actually, I think (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here) that a resource will only disappear if it's connected to a road network.

If that's the case, I guess you could pillage the road every turn to preserve it. Interesting idea. I never would have thought of it. (Of course, most of the time, by that late in the game, I have an empire large enough to pretty well ensure that a single disappearing resource doesn't hurt me.)
      They don't get no stranger.
      Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
      "We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush

Comment

Resources not connected to the network will not disappear.

But the only resource I really watch out for disappearing is Iron and all I do is wait to connect it the first time until I'm about to start using it.

Later on, I'd just be very likely to declare war on someone if my only supply of resource gets relocated.
        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
        Templar Science Minister
        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Yes, but if you are in a human game instead of an AI game, declaring war may not be an easy solution.

Comment

I thought I had tested this once, but perhaps not.
            Make a new scenario, edit the disappearance ratios to be really low (2 to 10). Put it into Debug mode, start it up and watch the unconnected resources move about (or not).

Comment

I tried the test I suggested above, it appears that undiscovered or unroaded strat. resources do NOT become exhausted.
              I did NOT test to see if disconnecting the road makes it ineligible (yet). I think, from a programming standpoint, that pillaging the resource tile would be the way to check. It would be much easier to program "is there a road/colony/city on the tile" compared to "is it connected to a city."

Comment

Re: Resource Preservation in the Late Game

Originally posted by jshelr
                In the late game, when workers are otherwise basically done with their work, should roads on resource tiles be pillaged at the end of each turn to prevent resource exhaustion?
                From memory, by the time the late game comes around and I yell "hurrah, I don't have to MicroManage all those Workers anymore!!!", I sure as hell ain't gonna start pillaging resources and re-railing them each turn just to prevent the RNG from taking away my Iron
                So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

In order to fix resource problems, I doubled the appearance ratios and and dissappearence ratios are zero...they never go away, and there is plenty off them...

True, it is difficult to cut opponents from resources, but then again, you're never out yourself...more or less, I have made strategic resources more like bonus resources...

Comment

Re: Re: Resource Preservation in the Late Game

Originally posted by Aqualung71

I sure as hell ain't gonna start pillaging resources and re-railing them each turn just to prevent the RNG from taking away my Iron
                    How about your oil?

Comment

Originally posted by Tall Stranger
                      Actually, I think (and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong here) that a resource will only disappear if it's connected to a road network.

If that's the case, I guess you could pillage the road every turn to preserve it. Interesting idea. I never would have thought of it. (Of course, most of the time, by that late in the game, I have an empire large enough to pretty well ensure that a single disappearing resource doesn't hurt me.)
                      Wouldn't matter anyway. IIRC once a source has been roaded (wether you've discovered it or not), it disapperrance flag will be tagged. Pillaging won't "unflag" it.
                      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I don't know about you guys, but when a resource disappears in one of my games, it just reappears in the same spot.

wierd, huh?

but then again, i do only play tiny & small maps. I guess not many places a resource can pop back up again.

Comment

MP, reappearing in the same location also occurs sometimes with Large and Huge maps. Those are the only sizes I play.

Comment

Originally posted by alva

Wouldn't matter anyway. IIRC once a source has been roaded (wether you've discovered it or not), it disapperrance flag will be tagged. Pillaging won't "unflag" it.
                            Now that is the answer that i'm looking for. I don't know if I believe it yet, however.

Comment

Well, I've never tested it.
                              I'm pretty sure about it though, IIRC Soren mentioned it once on a chat or something.(could have been someone else too I guess).
                              I does make sense.

EDIT: Sorry, I meant to say "pretty sure, not "sure".
                              Last edited by alva; March 29, 2005, 12:30.
                              Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                              X