Pardon my ignorance...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pardon my ignorance...

I've been away for a LONG time and have poked my head into various of the board's orifices, but I've run out of patience, so I thought I'd ask those of you who've been around more recently than I:

Has anyone done their homework and put out a list or BIC/X/Q file of the cities in historical order of foundation (or conquest, for cities built by minor civs later conquered by the majors) and with generals/scientists in similar order? That's been a pet peeve of mine all along...

Also, some mods I've made to my own copy:

Rome: I'm fairly certain their "Emperor Caesar" is supposed to be Julius...and one of their generals is Augustus? Uh, no, sorry; the texts I've read peg him as being a so-so general ad best - but he was an -excellent- administrator, better than Julius from what I understand. Accordingly I renamed/titled the Roman leader as "Cæsar Augustus" and added Julius as a general, along Marcus Vespianus, the man who pulled Augustus' arse out of the fire at least once during their campaigns. Now THERE was a general.

Persia (Persis): Once again, they chose a general over an administrator or legend, an approach with which I seriously disagree. All I did here was swap Xerxes with Darius I. Also made a couple of small changes for the sake of authenticity, changing the names Persia and Persepolis to Persis and Parsa.

America: Abraham Lincoln? Okay, I'll buy that one. Washington DC? UH NO. Washington was nowhere near the first American city, and in fact was designed expressly to be the capital - originally there weren't even supposed to be residents aside from maybe the politicians and their staffs! Based on these origins, I wouldn't even dignify it with inclusion (no offence intended residents of the area); I removed it completely and repalced it with Jamestown.

England/Celts: First off, Wallace was a SCOT. Not a Breton. Let's put him where he belongs. This leaves England a short a general - enter Ambrosius Aurelianus. His name may be Roman, but he was a Breton born and fought accordingly.

Inca (Tahuantinsuyu): Um, hello? If you know the official name of an empire, I say USE IT!

Alright, you all may commence bawling me out now. :>

Caesar became part of the title for Roman Emperors, starting with Augustus.

Julius was largely responsible for making Rome undisputued master of the Mediterrian world.

Augutus was largely responsible for building the inferstructure so the Roman empire would last for centuries. (Or a millieia and a half if you include what is now called by historians the Bryzantine Empire, but was called by those who lived there at the time the Roman Empire.)

Yes, Xerxes was a poor general. His forces managed to lose a war against the greek city states dispite having a large numerical advantage.

America order of being built and inside US colonies:

1. Jamestown

2. Boston (I'm merging Plymouth into Boston)

3. [a whole set of cities established along the coast to middle of state]

4. New York (captured from the Dutch)

5. [a whole set of cities in Appalica]

6. [A few cities in the Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee valleys]

7. Washington, DC

England/Celts: Yup, Wallace is a Scot. Not a Brit nor a Celt. If England is short of Generals, include their Admirals such as Lord Nelson.

Inca (whatachmacallit) That other name is too long and in addition a tougue twister, much easier to simply call it Incas.
    1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
    Templar Science Minister
    AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

America order of being built and inside US colonies:

1. Jamestown

2. Boston (I'm merging Plymouth into Boston)
      Sounds reasonable.

3. [a whole set of cities established along the coast to middle of state]
      If you know the order of those and the others not named below, could you IM/PM/email them to me? I'd seriously appreciate that.

4. New York (captured from the Dutch)

5. [a whole set of cities in Appalica]

6. [A few cities in the Ohio, Kentucky, and Tennessee valleys]

7. Washington, DC
      Which, again, was an artificial capital.

England/Celts: Yup, Wallace is a Scot. Not a Brit nor a Celt. If England is short of Generals, include their Admirals such as Lord Nelson.
      Um...Scots ARE Celts, friend. :P

Inca (whatachmacallit) That other name is too long and in addition a tougue twister, much easier to simply call it Incas.
      I'm going for authenticity, not ease of use. Besides, I don't find it that hard to say/spell. Tahuantinsuyu.
      Last edited by ShadowKat; March 15, 2005, 17:54.

Comment

The thing is that much of this has been in Civ since day 1 and is not going to change. The reason is that fans are fans and what the familar stuff.

I could see them change a few of your complaints, but that will have to be in Civ5. Most will be easy to change in Civ4 they claim.

Comment

If your interested in renaming countries to what they are in their own lanquages:

Spain -> Espana [with the curvy line above the 'n']

England -> Great Britain or United Kingdom

Dutch -> Netherlands?

Germany -> Dotchland?

Vickings -> Svede? if you want Sweeden.

Greece -> Helios?

And a whole bunch of other changes, most minor, but some are big.

For that matter, the United States of America is called something like "Estados Unidad de Americano" in Spainish speaking countries.
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Well, to be more accurate:

Spain España
            Sweden Sverige
            Holland Nederland
            Germany Deutschland
            Greece Ellada (Ελλάδα )
            Egypt Mishr (مصر )
            Russia Rossia (Россия )
            Japan Nippon
            China Zhongguo
            India Bhārat
            Korea Joseon
            Turkey Türkiye
            Last edited by Rogerdude; May 16, 2005, 11:01.
            In the beginning, Earth was without form and void... then my life changed forever.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
              Greece -> Helios?
              I believe that would be Hellas. Helios = sun.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                If your interested in renaming countries to what they are in their own languages:

Spain -> España

England -> Great Britain or United Kingdom
                England is England. Iirc "England" and "Britain" are synonymous, and the UK includes a couple of Celtic states, so that wouldn't work a-tall.
                Dutch -> Netherlands?
                Er, that's already in C3Q.
                Germany -> Dotchland?
                Deutscheland, if I remember right.
                Vickings -> Svede? if you want Sweeden.
                If you notice, they gave the Vikings a national name of "Scandinavia" to include Sweden, Norway, Denmark, and all the other areas they colonized. I would say Finland as well, but the Finns are very different, despite being typically included in the group.
                For that matter, the United States of America is called something like "Estados Unidad de Americano" in Spainish speaking countries.
                "Estados Unidos de América", actually. And from what I've heard, (the United States of) Mexico gets seriously upset over us calling ourselves "The United States" by itself, sometimes. :>
                Originally posted by Rogerdude
                Spain España
                Sweden Sverige
                Holland Nederland
                Germany Deutschland
                Greece Ellada (Ελλάδα )
                Egypt Mishr (مصر )
                Russia Rossia (Россия )
                Japan Nippon
                China Zhongguo
                India Bhārat
                Korea Joseon
                Turkey Türkiye
                Wow, awesome homework done there! I probably wouldn't change the Netherlands, Turkey (assuming one simply didn't stick with the "Ottoman" name), or Russia simply because the Anglicized versions are almost identical to the originals. Any others people would care to comment on?

Hrm...is that name "Joseon" related to "Choson"?

Comment

I have modded the city and leader names (MGL and SGL) in my mod, to make them more historically accurate. For example, for the Romans as MGL's I believe I have Galba and Sulla in there (can't recall offhand) among others.

I added some cities like Colonia Aggripina, etc. All the changes I have made, I can't remember.

For the English MGL's I have Nelson and moved Edward I up (he was a real tough bird).

I don't understand why you want the leader names to appear in chronological order of their appearance, but whatever floats your boat.

My way of thinking is that if you play a Civ game, you're writing an alternate history for that civ. So if you had, say, Marcus Aurelius (ruled c. 160-180 AD) appear first as a leader, and then as your second leader to appear you got Augustus (c. 30BC - 14 AD), it would not concern me in the least. That's the alternate history, you had Marcus Aurelius appearing before Augustus. hehehe. But it's all a matter of whatever one likes--at least we have the luxury of modding that into Civ3.
                  Let Them Eat Cake

Comment

Working...
                  X