Alliances with the barbs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alliances with the barbs?

Why is it that all the other civs can make alliances with the barbarians and I can't? I say I can't because when I open discussions with the barbarians and propose a deal, no alliance options are available.
    Last edited by Neal the Neophyte; March 14, 2005, 00:35.
    "One more such victory and we are undone" - Pyrrhus of Epirus

You can propose deals with the barbarians? I've never heard of this before... At least not in Civ 3...
    Sorry I can't help
    Jer

Comment

What makes you say they have an alliance with the barbs? Do you mean Babs as in Hammi?

You need Writing to make an alliance and you need to have contact. Do you have an embassy.

Comment

Barbs != Babs

No one can ever make an alliance with the barbs.

To make an alliance with the babs (or any other civ) see above post.
        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
        Templar Science Minister
        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Well, this is confusing. OK, I'm playing Conquest, no mods, Rise of Rome, and I'm Rome.

First off, I made a mistake - I didn't mean barbarians, I meant the three tribes - Celts, Goths, and the S????. Sorry about that.

I had Writing and contact with all three tribes (plus all civs) and was on friendly terms with each tribe. I started getting messages that the other civs were making alliances with the tribes and going to war with each other. I tried to cut deals with the tribes to avoid war with them and have them attack competing civs. I could open negotiations with them, but alliances were never an option. Eventually the other civs made alliances with them against me and they attacked me.

So now with the correct statement of the problem, why can't I make alliance deals?

Comment

Ok I have not played the Conquest that came with C3C, but I would expect that they have changed the techs. Check the research tree and find out what is the tech that allows alliances and such.

It is always a good idea to mention any mods to keep us straight.
            Someone will come along that is familiar with RoR.

Comment

Ok, those tribes are refered to collectively as barbs in Rose of Rome but anyone can ally with them if they have an embassy. As any of the major powers, you start with the tech allowing embassys to be built. (and already have one with each of the major powers + Eqypt)

If you make contact with the Celts on turn 1, they'll give you a very good deal if asked to join in your alliance with Carthage. (Make contact first, then build the embassy, then recontact them.)

Originally posted by Neal the Neophyte
              Well, this is confusing. OK, I'm playing Conquest, no mods, Rise of Rome, and I'm Rome.

First off, I made a mistake - I didn't mean barbarians, I meant the three tribes - Celts, Goths, and the S????. Sorry about that.

I had Writing and contact with all three tribes (plus all civs) and was on friendly terms with each tribe. I started getting messages that the other civs were making alliances with the tribes and going to war with each other. I tried to cut deals with the tribes to avoid war with them and have them attack competing civs. I could open negotiations with them, but alliances were never an option. Eventually the other civs made alliances with them against me and they attacked me.

So now with the correct statement of the problem, why can't I make alliance deals?

1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
              Templar Science Minister
              AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

If you make contact with the Celts on turn 1, they'll give you a very good deal if asked to join in your alliance with Carthage. (Make contact first, then build the embassy, then recontact them.)
                Thanks. Looks like an embassy is the key. It just never occured to me to establish an embassy with tribes - I just thought we could discuss things over a cup of blood. Seriously, in historical context, I don't think anyone ever established an embassy per se. Of course they had contact and made deals and maybe the civ making the deal sent an "ambassador", and even left hostages with them as a deal sealer, but never established an embassy that I can recall.

I keep getiing my lunch eaten in RoR, and your suggestion may be a key tactic.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn

Umm, wow. Yeah they will. Any word on how that happened?
                  Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                  X