Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strategy

Hello all.

I am new to the game of civilizations having just purchased Civs 3 complete.

What a fantastic game! I can't believe what I have been missing out on these past years.

That being said let me put forth my dilemma:

Short of actually purchasing a strategy guide for this game (which I am fully prepared to do) where can I get acces to competent strategies and tactics without scouring every single thread here (which I am also fully prepared to do ).

Is there one or more location that has a list of these articles that I can read and/or download or print?

Thanks in advance for any and all responses.
    Last edited by uberloz; March 9, 2005, 15:38.
    ..there are known ‘knowns’ There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. ~~Donald Rumsfeld

Check out the Strategy Forum http://www.apolyton.net/forums/forum...s=&forumid=136
    Do you believe in Evil? The Nefarious Mr. Butts
    The continuing saga of The Five Nations
    A seductress, an evil priest, a young woman and The Barbarian King

Comment

Thanks, I had a feeling that was going to be the case.

I will just have to hunker down and read all the pages.

Wheew! This is going to make my eyes bleed!

Hehehe!

I can hack it! (grabs the visine and squirts it into each eye) Here I go!
      ..there are known ‘knowns’ There are things we know that we know. There are known unknowns. That is to say there are things that we now know we don't know. But there are also unknown unknowns. There are things we don't know we don't know. ~~Donald Rumsfeld

Comment

Don't bother with the strategy guide. You'll get much better advice and info here.

In general, your best bet is the Strategy forum. I'd also encourage you to ask the crowd there if you have any specific questions.

Welcome to Civ 3 and to Apolyton.
        They don't get no stranger.
        Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.
        "We will not tire, we will not falter, and we will not fail." George W. Bush

Comment

Welcome aboard!!!

Do NOT, I repeat, NOT even *CONSIDER* spending any of your money on the published strategy guides.

The Strat forum is the place to be. In addition to reading, post a game you are working on, and various people will play along and comment.

Also take a look at the Apolyton University forum... in addition to the various past games, there have been several 'succession' games for teaching purposes.
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Wheew! This is going to make my eyes bleed!

Hehehe!

I can hack it! (grabs the visine and squirts it into each eye) Here I go!

You can still get out, don't wait too long though.

PS: don't by the strategy book, waste of money.
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

especially when there are free things on the web. Though if you like contributing to the national economy and the jobs of strategy writers, go ahead.

But there are plenty of free things on the web like www.gamefaqs.com

Comment

Comment

Thanks for all your help and advice people!

And thanks for the great welcome!

I am addicted to this game.

I tried playing on the middle settings to start out, but I was quickly overwhelmed by faster civs.

What a clever AI! I am very impressed.

So now I have swallowed my wounded pride and have set the game at the lowest setting to begin learning the basics.

I figure I should be ready to tackle the game at the midpoint just in time for Civs 4 to come out and start me all over again! lol!

Hahaha.

Edit> Some quick questions: Is there anyway to play with an unlimited #number of turns? If so how? If not, did someone beg Firaxis to allow us the option to play with unlimited turns in Civs IV?
                  Last edited by uberloz; March 10, 2005, 10:24.

Comment

You can always play on after the 'final score' has been entered... the only thing that has a mandatory ending then is the scoring itself!

Comment

You can set it to 1000 turns, rather than 540 default. Beyond that you can play as long as you like, but the score will not count after you reach either a victory conition or the turn limit.

Comment

Wow, that changes everything!

I really don't care about my score because I'm not good enough to (yet!).

I've been feeling oppressed by what I imagined was a time constraint and so that takes a load off my shoulders.

Thanks vmxa1.

Comment

Emperor Gav and the Holy Buddhist Spaceship

It's definitely a work in progress, but I wanted to take a bit of time and illustrate some of the great tips I've gotten from the strategy forum in a thread with game situations where it applies. I hope it's of use to someone. Don't be afraid to ask questions, the people reading the forum seem to enjoy the chance to flex their Civ-muscles on other player's behalf.

If you do end up hitting the time limit, don't fret, but you may want to consider starting over rather than playing on. I think you learn much quicker by getting a chance to remake your decisions with what you've learned rather than playing to recover from them. While recovery is a good skill to have as well, ultimately what you want is to have practice and experience doing it well in the beginning.

Comment

If you are looking for incredibly helpful articles check out the war academy at civfanatics!

These forums at apolyton are also amazing! They are not simply spewed out facts about which way is best but actual debates working out the best techniques!

Have Fun!
                            Jer

Comment

Working...
                            X