Need opinions on MODS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need opinions on MODS

I have been browsing this forum and I am amazed at some of the work that has been done to enhance the CIV experience. I have never used a mod and would like some suggestions on some good ones. The rise and rule MOD seems to be too much for me. Rhye's MOD seems to be more interesting and less of a major change to the original game. I'm looking for something that adds flavor to the game without modifying it too much. I would appreciate any input you have on your personal favorites. Also, after the MOD is installed can you still play the packaged game without deleting or moving files around? Thanks again for your input.

As long as you have Conquests, and I think even PTW, then you can install and play any mod without affecting the core game, to any extent. If you're looking for mods that add balance and some flavour, without altering it too much, I believe that player1's mod and the Apoolyton University mod would be good picks. I haven't played either, but their descriptions seem to inicate that that is their goal.

Perhaps the best way is just to try some mods that look interesting. If you don't like them, then just delete them.

Oh, and by the way, in order to not change your core game you have to install them into the Scenario directory in either Conquests or PTW folder (Conquests is the preferred directory, if you have it).

Well, good luck in your search.
    I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

I played the AU mod and found it to be interesting in an unobtrusive way. The changes are very subtle and well thought-out. The changes are almost entirely focused around balance and improving the AI's competitiveness, so while it may not add a whole lot of flavor to your game, it will add plenty of challenge.

Comment

That said, the AU Mod does *not* add a lot of 'flavor' to the game... it is not supposed to.

Arrian has been messing around with the Ancient Med mod, and quite likes it; talk about FLAVOR.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
          That said, the AU Mod does *not* add a lot of 'flavor' to the game... it is not supposed to.
          Hmm...I seem to remember some discussion a while back about possibly including the use of the 'flavors' for the civs, to give some more depth to diplomacy in the game. Well, that's what I meant by flavour anyways. But I only play stock C3C, so I'm afraid my insight into mods is rather narrow.
          I AM.CHRISTIAN

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
            Arrian has been messing around with the Ancient Med mod, and quite likes it; talk about FLAVOR.
            Like what, alot of bananas for Carthage? Or for the Persians?
            Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

arnoldvsgooch,

I went through the exact same thing as you about a week ago. I finally decided to give a mod a shot and see what all the hype was about. I wasn't sure which one to try so I download Rhye's to Civilization and I've been playing it recently. I'm enjoying this mod it's a lot of fun! After I've played this one to exhaustion I think I will try the double your pleasure mod

Jer

Comment

Well I tried Rhye's of Civilization. It is pretty in depth without ruining the original game and done real well. I would recommend this MOD to anyone else who is searching for a good MOD.

Comment

Working...
                X