Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should I back away from large land maps?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should I back away from large land maps?

I usually always go with Continents-60%, Wet, Warm and 5 billion, everything default.

I was wondernig as I go up in difficulties should I continue to play with such enormous land masses or should I go for smaller sized land masses?

I'm wondering whether or not people at the higher difficulties pick the same settings all the time or not.

It seems to me if I do large land maps the CPU always tries to take up any unused space even if its only like 4-6 squares worth of crappy land.

Re: Should I back away from large land maps?

Originally posted by xts3
    I'm wondering whether or not people at the higher difficulties pick the same settings all the time or not.
    Of course not. However, if you're asking about map settings that tend to be advantageous, I believe 80% archipelago combined with selection of a seafaring civ is popular for high levels like Deity and Sid. If you can get lots of early contacts by suiciding Curraghs and Galleys out in to the ocean, you can become a rich tech-dealer by playing middleman despite the research penalty and the AI bonuses on higher levels.

Comment

It depends are where you are in your game. I feel std maps are best for learning general play, but after that it is a matter of choice.

Of course the bigger the map the longer the turns. Contients and 60% do not confer any advantages IMO. Not like max water and island maps will. As long as you use the normal numbr of civs.

If you go with a lot less than normal count, then you are altering the game.

Comment

Lower than normal count benifits expansionstic civs

Also if you prefer building to combats it allows easier building.

Conversely, overloading the civs for a map level hurts expansionsitic civs and encourages early war mongeling.
        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
        Templar Science Minister
        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Re: Should I back away from large land maps?

Originally posted by xts3

It seems to me if I do large land maps the CPU always tries to take up any unused space even if its only like 4-6 squares worth of crappy land.
          I would say that you can use nearly any civ you want up to deity on most maps.

Your goals will impact the civ choices. A tiny maps going for fast conquest means only a few civs are suited, depending on all the other aspects of the map and game settings.

I have used only a few civs at sid currently. Iroq are the strongest under most conditions, but I once came close to winning a contients map with Mayans (lost culturally).

So I would say it is surely in your interest to use a limited set of settings and civs at sid. I have never managed to win pangea and occassionally manage a win on contients. So maps with lots of water and islands and huge with less than a full complement of civs is the easiest way.

4 to 6 tiles? I have seen them use one tile islands many times.

So my answer is yes people probably will use the same settings often.
          Last edited by vmxa1; March 2, 2005, 13:12.

Comment

I do continents. But that's my play style. It keeps me out of more wars. Some people like the wars. It offers more challenge I suppose.

I prefer not to be warring all the time. It's easier to stay out of wars when you have the contient to yourself (after clearing out the riff raff of AI players you start with on your continent). And then I can build to my heart's content.

Comment

As exhibited by the posts thus far, C3 has the... 'range', to answer your question in different ways.

What is your gameplaying goal?

One of mine, for a long time, has been to face off against what we call "KAIs" (Killer AI civs)... I've gotten that, partially through the AU Mod and partially through my own playstyle.

Again, what do yo you want out of the game?
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I like large maps....more time to get my empire setup before dealing with numbnut AIs
                Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

Large and Huge maps are the only way to go!! Makes for epics that last weeks and months.
                  But with Huge make sure you restrict where cities can be founded (e.g., no mtns, jungle, tundra, desert) so you don't run up against the 512 total cities limit.

I played a couple standard map games when civ3 first came out, and once since then. Otherwise it has been Large or Huge, all the way.

Currently playing my own variants of CFC-Rhye's of Civilization.

Comment

I love huge maps... they just take alonggggggg time to play

especially in a play by email game (pbem)
                    Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                    I am of the Horde.

Comment

I play mostly on monarch level, so I usually randomize everything.
                      When I try higher levels (="when I want to lose"), I've been using huge map, archs, 70% water, and not more than 8 civs (myself always seafaring). I think it's a good way to get used to the higher levels, because someday I really want to get off monarch.
                      "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

Aramis consider a AG+Com civ instead. You get the alphabet for the curragh and a jump on Philo. You want the AG to be able to rex fast, if you are going with so few civs on that map.

I don't think you get enough from Seafare to want it at emperor. Improved chances at sea is not that big of a deal. Beat them to the Lighthouse, if you need the movement.

Comment

One of mine, for a long time, has been to face off against what we call "KAIs" (Killer AI civs)... I've gotten that, partially through the AU Mod and partially through my own playstyle.
                          from Thesesus

I know this is a tad off topic but - What AU mod is that?

I wouldnt mind going into action against or with some KAIs... so I was only wondering. Thanks

Comment

I usually stuck to standard maps, though now I have moved to Large and Huge after I got a new computer (512Mb RAM, 2.5GHz CPU; oh yeah baby ).

Comment

theDragon go to the AU forum and I am sure it is a topped thread.

Comment

Working...
                              X