Espionage - What kind do you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Espionage - What kind do you do?

This is one aspect of the game I wish was a little more in depth. I've tried just about everything in the spy game and it rarely works. My first question is how does the spy level mechanics work? When do I become a master spy. Stealing plans is probably the most helpful prior to invading a civ. I love the initiate propoganda, but it never seems to work. Has anyone ever gotten a cultural conversion after initiating propoganda? I would like to know some of your espionage stories and how they worked or did not work. Also, how can you tell if a rival civ has planted a spy that you can expose? Thanks in advance for your replies.

Frankly, it's a waste of time.

*vs the AI
    One who has a surplus of the unorthodox shall attain surpassing victories. - Sun Pin
    You're wierd. - Krill

An UnOrthOdOx Hobby

Comment

It is not a profitable way to go, build more troops instead. You can steal plans, but it cost a lot of money and they are only good for one turn.

That is something I would do in spot where they now have nukes and we go to war. I may spend the cash to locate those ICBM's and see if I can bust some of them.

I have done it in a few games where I am invading the last or next to last civ and I know they have at least 1000 troops and we are in the modern age. I am willing to spend the cash to see what cities are the weakest. It is rare though, but I often have research turned off at this point and have cash.

Stealing tech is quite easy as long as you are willing to risk war.

Inciting things is a real lost cause as near as I can tell. I have not attempted in ages.

Comment

I just plant spies and am done with it... I've stolen plans maybe once or twice.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

The main time I plant spys is when I want to trick the AI into declaring war on me. (So I get the negative WW bonus as a rep govt)
          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
          Templar Science Minister
          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Planting spies always, everywhere - as soon as there is cash. Knowing their numbers is very helpful. It is my zoo and I want to see the exhibits up close.

In the epic game, stealing plans and looking into cities can be useful if at war. But it is expensive, so rather a toy than a tool.

In scenarios, stealing can be great. The higher the difficulty level, the tougher it is to extort things by war, not to mention doing research on your own (you: 1 tech; they: finished the tech tree). Extremely useful if playing a smaller power on Sid.
            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

One thing not mentioned and maybe I should not, but sabotage cost can be used to determine the number of shields in the box in a given city.

This can be use to determine how you will fare in a race for a late wonder. So I can decide if I can beat them or not.

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
                The main time I plant spys is when I want to trick the AI into declaring war on me. (So I get the negative WW bonus as a rep govt)
                I thought that war from failed espionage and nuke usage were the only times you didn't get the negative WW bonus.

Comment

Working...
                X