Armies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Melboz99

"I guess one of the best armies to build would be a 3 modern armor, and one Mech Inf army."

I would say no to this, but maybe T would like it. I would not want to slow down my MA army with an MI (3 move vs 2 moves). Why do it? The MA's do not need a defender after all. They have the second best defesive numbers and will surely be killing anything they attack.

I use 4xMA's to bust MI defenders in metros all the time.

"You guys listed how attack is calculated, how is defense?

Is defense based on all units, or the strongest defender?"

The defense is the same, just replace the attack numbers with defensive numbers.

Bare in mind that if it is a mixed army, the defense of the one doing the defending is all that matters.

Here is what I do often, have a 3x army and get the pentagon built. The army is maybe muskets and I now have rifles. I stick in a rifle and it will do most of the combat.

If it is say an older army and is made up of knights, I will stick in a calv or a strong defender. Depending on what I will use the army to do. Is it still attacking or is it sitting in a newly captured city? If the latter, I will stick in a defender.

Understand that I am talking about sid games and will be having many hundreds of battles and hence have a steady stream of leaders.

I may have to scrap some to allow a better army to form for the lack of cities to meet the 4 per army.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1

Armies of marines or beserkers retain any special ability if they are homongeous.
      That's what I would expect, but I know I've lost airdrop ability with homogeneous armies... Strange that they'd do it for marines and not paratroopers

Comment

Yup, but it is a fact no air drops. That is why I did not say any specialty or any homogeneous army.
        Last edited by vmxa1; February 17, 2005, 14:10.

Comment

Army strength calculator

I have attached a handy excel spreadsheet that will act as a tool for calculating army strength.

Since you will be able to plug in different units to see what the strength of the army will be, you may determine whether adding that spearman--or that cavalry--into your army will be worth your while.

Let me know what you think.
          Attached Files
          No greater love has one than to lay down their life for a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Melboz99
            I guess one of the best armies to build would be a 3 modern armor, and one Mech Inf army.
            While I am a huge fan of mixed-unit Armies, I agree with vmxa1 here. At this point 4xMA Armies are just ridiculously powerful, so much so that the benefit of mixing in a MechInf is not warranted. And the 4-mp reach can be... effective. Especially if you are having major wars, and can generate say, five or six MGLs... All of a sudden you've got a basically unstoppable juggernaut on your hands.
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

T speaks the truth. The 4-mp reach is also why I won't mix other units into a cav army. Granted, the best you can hope for is 12 attack, but with that kind of reach, you can let bombers do the heavy lifting, then use a 4xCav army to clean up one last, damaged MI or Inf unit and take the city.
              Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

When I first played C3C, I remember for some reason (AI city placement?) making a point of loading MAs into a bunch of 3xCav Armies... sheer mayhem.
                The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

AI city placement does, indeed, make a 4-mp unit a godsend. That's why the best time, speed-wise to conquer AI territory is when they've just taken it from another AI, and the low culture city borders allow you to use a tile or two of road/railroad to get to the next city.
                  Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Working...
                  X