Arty at Deity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bombers?
    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Drakan I take it that it would be allowed to use minimal numbers of artillary or bombers for the purpose of your quest?

I am guessing that using lots of bombers is no different that using an artie stack?

Comment

Yes, Vmxa, bombers with lethal bombard are almost as good, providing they are not shot down. The problem is that If the AI's make it to bombers they bomb my Armies which have my SoD beneath them and I'm a gonner after that. So I try to finish them off beforehand or else win through SS instead.

I guess I'll just have to get used to moving à la Moonsinger huge stacks of arty's all over the screen. It's just such a pain in the .... Thanks anyway for all the feedback.
        If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
        Ailing Civilization Strategy
        How to win on Deity Builder style, step-by-step
        M2TW Guide to Guilds (including Assassins')

Comment

I was trying to get the parameters and maybe take a shot at the game after I finish my current game. I will probably run out of time and have to win histograph today. It is a conquest only and I have had trouble putting civs out of the game.

The main research civs have shot themselves in the foot with max units and no workers. The USA was the tech leader, but now has so many tiles covered with pollution it has fallen back.

DC was so bad that when they started the Shakespears (long after the ToE race) it would take them 14 turn and my prebuild did it in one (not even my second best city).

This could be my first game where I did not trigger a GA, other than losing games.

So no large uses of art types and bombers on offense, is that about it on a huge pangea at deity, right?

Comment

I forget the key shortcut for selecting an entire stack of the same units. Does anyone remember? That makes dealing with moving 30 artillery or 20 tanks much less monotonous.

CTRL-X, CTRL-J, or the right-hand stack-move button.

Comment

Originally posted by Cort Haus

I forget the key shortcut for selecting an entire stack of the same units. Does anyone remember? That makes dealing with moving 30 artillery or 20 tanks much less monotonous.

CTRL-X, CTRL-J, or the right-hand stack-move button.
              Thanks, You just freed up about 40 hours of game time for me.

Comment

I haven't played any Huge/Pangaea games in C3C, but in Civ/PtW it was possible to use Horses, Knights, and Cavalry to get near the Domination limit and then finish things off with Tanks (or MA). No bombardment necessary. In C3C it should work better because of the advantage Armies give the player.

Comment

Well, I haven't done that situation yet, but in situations were I have to conquer a lot of land without arty (for example, on another continent where I was mostly using airports to send my guys over, so it was basically all tanks/mech infantry), I've found the most effective way to take a metropolises without arty is to simply pillage all the tiles in the city radius, then keep going with most of my army towards easier targets, just leaving a few units there to keep an eye on the situation, then come back to finish the job after the city has starved itself down to 6 people or so, losing the insane defense bonuses they otherwise get. It doesn’t usually take long (besides the loss of food from losing irrigated land and railroads, the AI also seems to make a bunch of people into entertainers once you cut off the luxuries, which makes it starve even faster) and with all resources cut off the city usually just spends the time making longbows or something silly like that.

Comment

That is so cruel. I like it.

I think the armies that Aeson mentions works well. Come to think of it, I think I learned about using armies from him.

The previous game I had, I was militaristic (German), and so it just seemed to be one of those games with many GLs generated. Plus I built all of the small wonders (Heroic Epic, Military Academy, Pentagon) to go with cranking out armies. On a standard size Pangea map I had 13-14 armies by end game. But there is the need to keep refreshing armies in barracks to avoid losing them. I can imagine on a huge Pangea map, you could end up with 30 armies? I only played 1 or 2 huge map games.

Comment

I forget the number, but SirPleb ran scores of armies in one of his games. I tend to use up to 2 dozen at any one point in time.

Scrapping older ones to rush things and replacing them with new ones. It depends on how many cities I have. I had 23 when I finished my last one, so that takes over 90 cities.

Comment

Those are insane numbers... 20+ armies! Seems tedious to play on huge worlds with many civs when you think about the numbers like this. I'll stick to smaller worlds for the time being.

Comment

Nay 20 or so is not insane, 80 or so is insane.

Comment

Yeah in Bamspeedy's : "Beyond Sid" I think he achieved 110 MGL's and he made like 80 Armies or so...loco loco loco
                            If you fail to plan, you plan to fail.
                            Ailing Civilization Strategy
                            How to win on Deity Builder style, step-by-step
                            M2TW Guide to Guilds (including Assassins')

Comment

Well I guess you could get up to 128 armies, with 512 cities, but I do not want to find out.

80 is over 320 cities and that is too many for me. Bam's game was insane.

Sorry for the thread jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X