MOD: Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MOD: Rhye's of Civilization - the fastest loading mod Expanded

Rhye’s of Civilization – the fastest loading mod is a modpack that attempts to make a realistic and historically correct Civilization III game based on an Earth map, without pre-placed cities.

This mod quickly gained popularity, getting downloaded by thousands and generating CivFanatics’ Forums’ biggest thread (it is currently 280 pages) in only few months since its first release.

You can find more info in the official site

The “basic” Rhye’s of Civilization 2.0 was released in February 2004, and was developed until that summer by Rhye.

From September to December 2004 its Expansion Pack was made. A whole team worked on it.

This installer contains the “expanded” version.

In brief, it features:
    - A 170x170 world map (A separate biq for the random map is included)
    - Special rules for speed improvement:loading times are reduced up to 95%
    - New terrain graphics and new team colours
    - A new resource system that makes the game develop like real history (Earth map only)
    - Three new civilizations : Austria, Ethiopia and Israel
    - A revised rule system, that corrects any inaccuracy of the original game
    - Religions *
    - 158 new units (including cultural-based animations and a 2nd unique unit for each civ)*
    - 25 new wonders*
    - A totally redesigned tech tree*
    - Complete civilopedia entries*

This mod needs the English/US version of Conquests, patched to 1.22.

Download here:
    Last edited by Rhye; January 24, 2005, 17:55.

Is the old thread to be replaced by this one?
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

you can close the old thread. I opened this new one to underline the release of the 80MB expansion pack.

Comment

I downloaded it last week and have been playing it. Overall, it is superb and makes Civ3 feel like a new experience.

Some minor concerns:

-The time frame, while far better than my other Civ games, is still a little wonky. In my current game it is 1976 and I just got motorized transportation, and I'm the most scientifically advanced country. I'm on Monarch level, so you'd think, if anything, the techs would be ahead of schedule. I didn't hit industrialization until late 1800s. Now, I didn't do a lot of tech trading, but I'm assuming other civs would. Still, just to bring everyone up to speed, I ended up giving tons of techs for free to other civs.

-While the zeppelin is a cool addition for Germany, I strongly disagree with not giving them standard bombers with advanced flight. Come on, bombers played a crucial role in the Luftwaffe in WW2! The advantage of having the zeppelins will still be there thanks to getting them with combustion, but there's no logical reason for the Germans not to get bombers.

-Um, Theory of Evolution replaced by the Encyclopedia? WTF? I don't get that change at all. Eliminating scientific method as an advance doesn't make sense, either--the formulation of the method was one of the watershed events in history. Likewise, Darwin's theory was a huge event in science, forming the basis for all biological achievement that was to follow.

-What happened to Music Theory and Bach's Cathedral? That was my favorite! Of course, being a classical musician, I may be biased. Still, I think the music theory advance should remain. Music has been a key aspect of happiness in the world!

-I think clearing wetlands and/or irrigating w/o a water source should come slightly sooner. People have been draining swamps for 1000s of years, and I don't think it would ruin the balance to have one or both of those available earlier.

-related to that, worker speeds seem way too slow even in the modern era with modern governments. Pollution is particularly annoying in this aspect (I always tend to edit pollution to be easily cleanable in my scenarios anyway, because I hate whack-a-mole).

-I'm not quite sure what the point is, for European civs anyway, of the Colonial Musketman. This unit seems pretty useless, as you can have units with greater defensive values prior to that (normal musketman) and also greater offensive values concurrently (Lancer). It looks nice, though!

-The initial aircraft carrier unit is obtainable before discovering flight. This seems odd. Why not just have the carrier come available with Flight?

raves:

-LOVED the ship movement tweaks. Enormously speeded the game.
        -Culturally-flavored units/wonders are awesome.
        -The map rocks--the increased size of Europe to make it more playable is a huge help.
        -Barbarians: still a problem, but not irritating.
        -Tech tree is so much better than original. Far more compelling.

Overall, superb job!
        Last edited by Boris Godunov; January 21, 2005, 22:08.
        Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

I downloaded it last week and have been playing it. Overall, it is superb and makes Civ3 feel like a new experience.

Some minor concerns:

-The time frame, while far better than my other Civ games, is still a little wonky. In my current game it is 1976 and I just got motorized transportation, and I'm the most scientifically advanced country. I'm on Monarch level, so you'd think, if anything, the techs would be ahead of schedule. I didn't hit industrialization until late 1800s. Now, I didn't do a lot of tech trading, but I'm assuming other civs would. Still, just to bring everyone up to speed, I ended up giving tons of techs for free to other civs.

-While the zeppelin is a cool addition for Germany, I strongly disagree with not giving them standard bombers with advanced flight. Come on, bombers played a crucial role in the Luftwaffe in WW2! The advantage of having the zeppelins will still be there thanks to getting them with combustion, but there's no logical reason for the Germans not to get bombers.

-Um, Theory of Evolution replaced by the Encyclopedia? WTF? I don't get that change at all. Eliminating scientific method as an advance doesn't make sense, either--the formulation of the method was one of the watershed events in history. Likewise, Darwin's theory was a huge event in science, forming the basis for all biological achievement that was to follow.

-What happened to Music Theory and Bach's Cathedral? That was my favorite! Of course, being a classical musician, I may be biased. Still, I think the music theory advance should remain. Music has been a key aspect of happiness in the world!

-I think clearing wetlands and/or irrigating w/o a water source should come slightly sooner. People have been draining swamps for 1000s of years, and I don't think it would ruin the balance to have one or both of those available earlier.

-related to that, worker speeds seem way too slow even in the modern era with modern governments. Pollution is particularly annoying in this aspect (I always tend to edit pollution to be easily cleanable in my scenarios anyway, because I hate whack-a-mole).

-I'm not quite sure what the point is, for European civs anyway, of the Colonial Musketman. This unit seems pretty useless, as you can have units with greater defensive values prior to that (normal musketman) and also greater offensive values concurrently (Lancer). It looks nice, though!

-The initial aircraft carrier unit is obtainable before discovering flight. This seems odd. Why not just have the carrier come available with Flight?

raves:

-LOVED the ship movement tweaks. Enormously speeded the game.
          -Culturally-flavored units/wonders are awesome.
          -The map rocks--the increased size of Europe to make it more playable is a huge help.
          -Barbarians: still a problem, but not irritating.
          -Tech tree is so much better than original. Far more compelling.

Overall, superb job!
          ->the tech pace is tuned for Emperor level. The choice of the civ also is important. Techs will go faster if you take an Euro civ. If you're in America, it will go much slower.

->the reason for not giving them Bombers is that when a civ has an UU, there's a replaced unit. In this case it is the bomber, and I added the Heavy Bomber which comes a bit later, to help Germans in this sense.

->In my opinion the Encyclopedia, as a material thing, is much more a wonder than Darwin's voyage.
          Scientific method should have been in (was in in the alphas, but in the end of the middle ages tree). It was deleted when I added absolutism and needed more space.

->Sorry for Music Theory and Bach's...
          I had to follow a strict project when making the tree and couldn't hold too many techs. Bachs cathedral was a cathedral and it would have been weird having it in, considering the religions. If I take Arabia, why should I build a cathedral?

->Good point about the workers. Well, indoustrious civs should suffer a little less, anyway.

->the colonial musketman is part of the chain that goes from the swordsman to the marine. Offensive-only units.

->the carrier is available with flight.

Comment

Working...
          X