Impassable Mountains Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impassable Mountains Question

I would like to see a minor mod where mountains are impassable to ground units, except for workers and explorers - until a road is made. Then any unit could travel the road. This would allow using mountains as a natural defensive barrier - and make forts etc really useful in the mountains, as well as destroying roads to cut off retreat/attack routes.

Is there a mod which does this already/how possible would it be to do?

Thanks.

Very simple. Go into the editor and flag "wheeled" for every ground unit except workers and explorers. Be warned that this will also make Jungles impassible.

Comment

And Marsh as well.
      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

ok -what about tanks... selecting 'wheeled' unselected 'blitz' - what will be the results of this?

[edit: ah... nm, I see I need to ctrl-select is all]

also, I'll make this change to the world (huge) map for now - but is there some way to make it a "mod" that would affect any map I load?

Comment

Yes, just open a new file in the editor and make the changes. Don't generate a map in this new file.
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Ok - one final question (I hope) for units which were had foot soldier selected - I just added 'wheeled' also since I'm not sure what effect the flag has.

Anyone explain the effect of the flag?

Comment

Hmmm and even with roads the mountains are still impassable. =(

[Edit: got it working now]
              Last edited by messydiner; January 11, 2005, 23:55.

Comment

Originally posted by messydiner
                ok -what about tanks... selecting 'wheeled' unselected 'blitz' - what will be the results of this?
                The effect of this will be that tanks can no longer attack more than once in a turn (that is what Blitz stands for in the unit attribs list). Panzers (3 move points) can no longer attack 3 times, just one time in a turn.
                As for wheeled, jungle, marsh and mountains will be impassable whithout a road previously built (as stated above by the previous posters).

I hope this helps.

Comment

Ok - one final question (I hope) for units which were had foot soldier selected - I just added 'wheeled' also since I'm not sure what effect the flag has.

It means units with the flag "transports only foot units" can transport it. The helicopter is the only unit with that flag that I know of.

Comment

So there's no equivalent to a logistical 'truck' type unit? That would've been cool given they went to all the trouble to create that category of transport. Seems a shame if they would only provide a helicopter to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
                      So there's no equivalent to a logistical 'truck' type unit? That would've been cool given they went to all the trouble to create that category of transport. Seems a shame if they would only provide a helicopter to use it.
                      They do have a helicopter unit, available with Advanced Flight. In fact, I believe it's the only unit that uses the Transports only Foot Units flag.

Comment

A wheeled unit cannot move (without a road) onto a tile that has the "impassible to wheeled" flag selected (in stock, Mountains, Jungle, and Marsh).

Comment

Often I think units should be given more limitations on movement. Making some terrain 'impassable' and other 'dangerous' sounds about right. If I have a mountain range south of me, I want it to act as a barrier to enemy movement, same with deserts, or glaciers, or jungles.

Then again, it also sounds like something the AI can't cope with
                          Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo

No that's not true. The AI knows exactly where the holes are and moves accordingly, and sometimes even builds roads through them, if it's building a colony. The only problem it has is if you make Settlers wheeled, since it doesn't know enough to build roads in Jungle beforehand in order to build cities. Offensive units it doesn't have a problem with.

Comment

Originally posted by bongo
                              Often I think units should be given more limitations on movement. Making some terrain 'impassable' and other 'dangerous' sounds about right. If I have a mountain range south of me, I want it to act as a barrier to enemy movement, same with deserts, or glaciers, or jungles.

you can have impassable terrain.

Though you will need conquests in order to do it. check the mesoamerican scenario for an example how this works.

Comment

Working...
                              X