Installing on a new computer problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing on a new computer problems

I've been running CivIII conquests on my old computer for a long time. I got a new computer (with Windows XP if that matters, and with directX 9.0 already installed), and installed Civ III, and patched to 1.29. I tried to install Conquests, and there was an error having something to do with directX (some dll file) and it wouldn't install.

Anybody experience this.

Direct X should not be a problem. I have seen problems with C3C installs, when you have applied any patches to C3.

C3C will patch it up to 1.29f, so I would remove the patch via the add/remove programs. Then reinstall C3C.

If that does not work note the msgs you get.

Comment

If what vmxa said doesn't work, just uninstall C3 entirely, then reinstall, then install C3C without installing 1.29f first.

Comment

Still no good. I get a component error.

I uninstalled everything and reinstalled (without the patch) and Conquests install hangs at 60% every time and gives the following error:

Component: DirectX installer
        File Group: DirectX installer
        File: D:\directx\mdxredist.msi
        Error: data error (cyclic redundancy check)

Comment

2 Solutions.

1. Download and install directx 9.0b

2. Download and install just the mdxredist.msi file

I actually believe this is an issue with the directx release that MS put on the original win xp release, but I'm not sure.

Comment

I've tried both. Apparently neither works. The stupid thing is that this is apparently a common problem:

I hope this is the right place for this. Sorry if it's not. I have been trying to get this game installed forever and it won't work. First it would load to 60% and give me this message: Component transfer error > > >Component: DirectX Installer > > >File Group: DirectX Installer >...

But, there seems to be no real solution. I know my disk isn't bad because I used it to install on by old computer. It's stupid because it gives me a message saying that I have directX and therefore it doesn't need to install, and then it tries to install anyway, and then it can't and shuts down. Grrr.....

Comment

Working...
            X