Atari Technical Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atari Technical Support

I have a relative who just started playing Civ3 Conquests (he's rather new to the franchise and computers in general). Anyway, his CD is damaged and it won't allow him to start up Conquests. Knowing him, (he's a messy teenager ) he just stacks all his CDs and DVDs on his desk in his room. Anyway, he asked me for assistance, so I sent this message to Atari tech support.

I have placed Atari's tech support response below. What is wrong with them? In a response to the message below, I offered to mail the old, non-working CD back and pay the shipping cost, no response yet.

I'm going to purchase Alcohol 120% so this situation doesn't happen to me. This was originally a suggestion made by our own vmxa1.

Unfortunately we are unable to provide replacements for media, manuals, playsets or CDKey's unless there is a manufactured defect within the original 90 day warranty from purchase. Lost or damaged media, manuals, playsets or CDKeys are not covered under the warranty and we do not offer paid replacements.

When replying please include all previous contacts.

Gary / Tech19
    Atari Technical Support - North America
    www.atarisupport.com / www.atari.com

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: Friday, December 10, 2004 5:28 PM
    To: tech1@atari.com
    Subject: Civilization III - Windows XP : North America :

REQUIRED CUSTOMER INFORMATION
    Name : XXXXXXXX
    E-mail : XXXXXXXX
    Birthday : XXXXXXXX
    Warranty : Out of Warranty
    Product Name : Civilization III
    Customer OS : Windows XP
    Customer Country : United States

OPTIONAL CUSTOMER INFORMATION
    Phone Number :
    E-mailed Us Before? : no
    Phoned Us Before? : no
    Browser & OS : Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; en-US;
    rv:1.7.5) Gecko/20041103 Firefox/1.0RC2
    IP Address : 141.xxx.xxx.xxx:3589

ISSUE DESCRIPTION
    My Civ 3 CD is slightly cracked and it doesn't read when starting the game up. Because it's cracked, I can't play the game. Can I get a replacement CD?
    Haven't been here for ages....

I don't see why one would expect to receive a free CD just because they were careless with the one they bought...
    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

replacement CD at cost. Common practice for most companies.

Comment

Maybe because the company made it very hard for the customer to make a safety copy? A copy that he is allowed to make, you know...
        Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

I'm not saying they shouldn't do it or that it wouldn't be a good PR, but if you're going to leave your CDs lying around they're going to get damage. IF a "stupidity warranty" was not bought with the game then there's no valid complaint.
          "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"

Comment

And what if that happens due to no fault of the customer? There's always a possibility of not being able to read a CD due to not fault of the customer.

Interesting position to take, punkbass. As I stated before, most companies will replace a CD if you send the broken one back. You might be asked to pay shipping and/or a nominal fee.

Comment

If it's no fault of the customer then the warranty covers it.

Again, I'm not saying they shouldn't do it, just that it shouldn't be expected of them. If I were Atari I'd definitely do it just to keep customers happy.

Comment

Incorrect. Read the email response. "only within 90 days"

Comment

I find it difficult to believe that this would occur in more than 90 days and not be the customers fault. 90-day warranties are fairly common for electronics goods; any manufacturer fault will make itself apparent during this time. Otherwise you can expect it to last at least 5 years, which is why they try to sucker you into the 3-year extended warranty, which is almost always useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Modo44
                    Maybe because the company made it very hard for the customer to make a safety copy? A copy that he is allowed to make, you know...
                    Making a safety copy is not hard and all virtual Cd products can do it for the three civIII games.

Comment

It is actually quite easy to make a backup of Civ3 CDs. I play using an image made with an old version of WinISO. No extra effort was required

Comment

...however, all these virtual CD products are in fact illegal in the EU.

I would not say a word against Atari's approach if the CD was not copy-protected. But it is and since one is unable to make a backup copy by legal means, then they are, IMO, morally obliged to provide replacement CDs at cost whenever the original fails to function (for whatever reason).

The money paid for the game are not paid for the CD. They are paid for the right to use the software (i.e. for the license). This right is perpetual and shall not be affected in any way by a faulty CD.

We published several copy-protected multimedia titles in my country and this was the approach we took: we used copy-protection (LaserLock) to prevent (to some extent) unauthorized duplication, but always provided a replacement CD upon receiving a non-functional original. That's the only way I consider acceptable to both the publisher and the customer.

Comment

What Vondrack said...especially about the license part.
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

My guess is that they would charge about what you could find it for on ebay or resale. It won't be 5 buck, it will be more like 15 or 19.99 plus shiping.

Your best bet is to take it back to the store for an exchange.

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                              Making a safety copy is not hard and all virtual Cd products can do it for the three civIII games.
                              ... if you have the required software, that is. And the knowledge to do so, because a simple copy with any application might not work. As Vondrack said, copy-protection is the issue here. If it wasn't there, I'd accept Atari saying "screw you" (they used more polite words, yes ), but as it is - I don't.
                              Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Working...
                              X