Renaming Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renaming Units

I should know this but I cannot figure how to rename units. I specifically want to rename armies. I figure that it should have something to do with preferences, but am not sure.

Anybody know?

When the unit is active, press SHIFT+n, or click the "Rename" button (it has "ABC" written on it). There is no option in the right-click menu, that's probably what got you confused.
    Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

"ABC" button is part of advanced action buttons, you need to enable them in preferences, but shift-N should work regardless.

Comment

Thanks. I'll try it tonight.

Comment

always worth the effort in renaming great units
          Long Live The Horde
          Marshal of the Concordian Armed Forces
          Membership Officer of the Axe Grinders Guild

Comment

Mmm, I have never renamed any of my units. When I play SMAC, I like to create new units in the unit workshop and customize their names, and I also like to name landmarks on the map...
            I watched you fall. I think I pushed.

Comment

it would be good to spend the time in the civ III editor

but there are too many bugs
              Long Live The Horde
              Marshal of the Concordian Armed Forces
              Membership Officer of the Axe Grinders Guild

Comment

Like what?
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I like to name my armies after the place where the great leader was created ("Heroes of Instanbul" for example). If I make them from scratch then I number them ("1st Army of Germany", etc...). It's easy if you have the advanced action buttons on.
                  "To watch your eniemies die in glorious color and sourround sound is surely one of the greatest advantages of technology." - Eoin Colfer
                  "You get more flies with a dead body than with honey." - Joshua Wade

Comment

I give them mock regiment names, like 1st Kings Horse (say a cavalry unit) or 1st Foot Regiment or so forth.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Elite* warrior = Grog, of course.
                      Elite* archer is either The King's Yeomen or [Great Leadername]'s Yeomen or Bowmen.
                      Elite* sword/med inf = [Leadername]'s Guard (unless I'm playing Rome and we're talking about Legionaries here).
                      The first mounted unit to generate a MGL will be named "The Nine" - for the Nazgul After that, it varies. Horsemen tend to be [leadername]'s horse (or, if a knight, Heavyhorse or Heroes).

Sometimes, if the unit creates a leader while storming a city, it will be the "Crushers of Calcutta" or "Mashers of Memphis" etc.

-Arrian
                      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                        Sometimes, if the unit creates a leader while storming a city, it will be the "Crushers of Calcutta" or "Mashers of Memphis" etc.

-Arrian
                        I like to do this too, as a way to commemorate the unit that created a leader, ie Kiev Krusher, Terror of Tenochtitlan, etc.

Sometimes to keep track of units I name them according to the year and city of production (ie London Galley 1150). Not as fun though...

Comment

Working...
                        X