Civilization Rights Sold by Infogrames

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilization Rights Sold by Infogrames

Wow it's been awhile since I posted here, but check this tidbit out... Hopefully it doesn't affect the future of the franchise.

Struggling publisher Infogrames nets $22.3 million by selling its powerhouse strategy franchise to an as-yet-unidentified company.

or maybe the powers that be at Apolyton put all that subscription money to good use and bought the franchise.
    Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

Maybe Firaxis got it.

Comment

That's what the article said. Maybe Sid bought it back. With the recent sale I guess that means that a Q4 2004 release date is out.
        Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

It is possible that Firaxis bought back the rights to the franchise. Per their website (link: http://www.firaxis.com/company_about.cfm), they bought back the rights of other games, so who knows?

"In 2003, FIRAXIS took significant steps to further strengthen its' foundation by gaining the intellectual property rights to a collection of Sid Meier games including: CPU Bach®, Colonization®, Covert Action®, Gunship®, Pirates!®, Silent Service®, F19 Stealth Fighter®, and F15 Strike Eagle®. These titles are some of the most revered gaming properties of all-time. Immediately following this acquisition, FIRAXIS announced plans to remake the legendary groundbreaking classic, Sid Meier's Pirates!®, with a planned release at the end of 2004."

Comment

Re: Civilization Rights Sold by Infogrames

Originally posted by Traelin
            Hopefully it doesn't affect the future of the franchise.
            Well, if someone / some company pays $22,5 million for civilization that most obviously means that the future of civ is long but gone.

Who would buy it for that much money and kill the future?
            I guess it's Firaxis indeed who bought it. Who else would buy it, while Firaxis is working on cIV?
            Formerly known as "CyberShy"
            Carpe Diem tamen Memento Mori

Comment

If anyone other than Firaxis DID buy it, it would mean a substantial disruption of the design/production process.
              Similar to Brian Reynolds' defection in 2000 and the consequences for Civ3.

I sure HOPE Firaxis bought it. AND that the price wasn't too high.

Comment

Probably so, but a company could buy the rights and have Firaxis do the work. Either way it means we will see at least one more version.

Comment

My guess is that the same exact thing with Pirates! will happen with Civ IV: that they bought back the rights, and within a week or two after publicly announcing it, they will then announce they are officially producing Civ IV.

Comment

Except they already anncounced Civ IV.

Comment

PARADOX has bought the rights!!!

Let me inform you. The franchise has been bought by PARADOX, the maker of Europa Universalis, Hearts of Iron, Crusader Kings, Victoria and which recently bought "Diplomacy" and "Squad Leader" rights too.

Comment

You may be right, but they have not mentioned it on their website.

Comment

Re: Re: Civilization Rights Sold by Infogrames

Originally posted by CyberShy
                          Who would buy it for that much money and kill the future?
                          I guess it's Firaxis indeed who bought it. Who else would buy it, while Firaxis is working on cIV?
                          Someone who wants Civ out of the comptetition for their own games, and has a lot of spare change...

... Microsoft

Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

Exempt there is no game in the market of Civ genre to compete with.

Comment

Working...
                            X