Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hopeless old Newbie finds a forum!!

Hi all,
    Boy am I glad you are out here! I've been playing Civ III, Play the World, and now Conquests for at least two years and still haven't gotten past 'Regent' difficulty. I love the game, but am a bit sloppy at it. After reading many strategy posts here, I have just managed to win a 'Regent' game without saving and reloading. Pretty feeble, but I,m learning!
    My crutch has been to turn 'random seed' off and reload at every goodie hut and crucial battle until I get the result I want. Could probably win a 'Sid' game that way, but I'd have to buy new "s" and "l" keys.
    I have a million q's, but the one that has bugged me most is:
    " What the hooey is that field on the top of on of the New Game screens that just says "Seed" and allows a number input? I played with it a few times but didn't know what to look for.
    Thanks to all ya for being out there, I'll be picking your brains for some time! (at least until they make me go get a job....) Sam

The seed is a nober (or a phrase that is converted to a number by an algorithm) The seed is used to initiate the random number generator, so if you enter the same seed, and make all settings the same you should gewt the same map again.
    Creator of the Civ3MultiTool

Comment

... same map, though your starting location may be that of another civ's from last game.

Comment

Weclome Sam. Now that you beat it, work on the reload thing. Anyway you most likely will not have huts at sid. I always select no barbs at sid to slow down research pace.

Reloading won't be practical either as battles will have scores of units, often more than 100. You would go nuts trying that.

If you find you are still having issue, start a thread and post your progress for others to give their two cents.

Good luck.
        Last edited by vmxa1; November 19, 2004, 23:23.

Comment

Thanks all!
          I think I'm gonna learn something here!
          That seed field can be handy. I usually save every game at the start before I drop the first settler in case I want to reuse the map later on. All I've got for that is folder full of anonymous saves, big no fun.
          Next question, comin' up.....

Comment

Welcome to Apolyton

This is a great site and hopefully you will get a chance to have your questions answered.

Using the information here and asking questions have taken me from a Regent player to a solid Monarch/Emporer player, depending on how much I feel like dealing with unhappy citizens on a given day
            *"Winning is still the goal, and we cannot win if we lose (gawd, that was brilliant - you can quote me on that if you want. And con - I don't want to see that in your sig."- Beta

Comment

Welcome to Apolyton!

May I suggest you to set up a new game at, say, Monarch difficulty and post a picture of the starting spot along with the the 4000 BC savegame in a separate thread in the Civ3-Strategy forum? I am very sure people will jump in an give you valuable advice how to improve your gameplay. Just don't play too fast, have patience, play a few turns, post another picture and wait for comments.

Comment

Mr Goofus. Welcome.

This is truely a great community. I have been here for years on the Civ II and recently the Civ III forums. I have failed to learn much, but that is the fault of the student, not the teachers.

I have found that no question is silly here. If the question has been answered 100 times before, someone will point you to the answer.

Welcome.
                Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

Welcome, citizen Sam

Ask away, and you shall be rewarded with insights and strategies beyond your wildest dreams
                  So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                  Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Hello.
                    And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Welcome, plop yourself on the couch and be comfortable
                      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
                      X