Incredibly Dumb Newbie Question re Catapults

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incredibly Dumb Newbie Question re Catapults

After 6? years of playing Civ 2 I have dipped my toes in the water of Civ III. I am playing it on chieftain level to try and get the hang of the new rules about trade and combat.

But one thing has stumped me. I led out three units to attack an enemy city - catapult, archers, spearmen - but when I activated the catapult first, to try and soften up the city defences, it would not attack, and I got a message saying something like, 'only offensive units can occupy cities'. I had to lead the attack with my archers and got my... elbow kicked. Later as the catapult retreated this matrix of red squares appeared around it, showing, I think, where it could attack - but why did it not attack the city when I wanted it to? I am flummoxed and I'm sorry to say I couldn't find any solution flicking through the manual. Can someone explain it to me in words of one syllable?

Bombardment units will display a box outlined in red. Those are the valid squares that can be attacked (in range).

You use the launch icon to have the cat attack/bomb a target. So if the town had units in it they had to be killed before you could enter. The cat does not attack via a move order like an archer or a spear.

So you could use the cat to bombard the town and then have attackers finsih off the units. The cat can only occupy empty tiles or those with your units.

Comment

most artillary can bombard only adjacent tiles. The tile must have a valid target such as an enemy unit with more than one hit point, an improved tile or a city with units, buildings or multiple citizens.

press B or click the bombard icon at the bottom of the screen.

That brings up the red overlay and the target icon.
      Attached Files
      Do you believe in Evil? The Nefarious Mr. Butts
      The continuing saga of The Five Nations
      A seductress, an evil priest, a young woman and The Barbarian King

Comment

Got it. Thanks guys.

Comment

Originally posted by noghar
          Got it. Thanks guys.
          You can also hit Shift-B which will have the unit auto-bombard the target each turn. However, you have to turn off the Cancel Orders When Next To Enemy Unit preference, or it won't work. If it's a two square bombard like Artillery, you don't have to bother.

Comment

I always wondered why that didn't work. Thanks Will.
            Do you believe in Evil? The Nefarious Mr. Butts
            The continuing saga of The Five Nations
            A seductress, an evil priest, a young woman and The Barbarian King

Comment

Working...
            X