Money Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Money Please

i try and try to make money in Civ but can't seem to get past a few thousand dollars in the bank account. anyone have any strategies. I look at some computer civs and they have 18000 or 25000 dollars. how can they possibly get that much but any way looking for suggestions on people who are good at accummulating money. thanks
    Jesse Evans
    The Turnbase King

First it is best to give some parameters. IOW what are the settings, such as level and map size and number of civs.

I do not see the AI with that kind of cash, is this by any chance C3C without any of the later patches? In that case you could be seeing the gold bug.

Presuming it is C3C and has the patch, then I am clueless as to how the AI got to such levels of gold. The AI will normally spend all it has and run near zero income.

Later in the game a KAI or two can get lots of gold from trades and a massive empire.

The way for you to make some cash is to develop your empire. Make roads on all worked tiles and use rivers or other commerce friendly tiles over other tiles when all else is equal.

Take care to not build structures in cities that cannot take advantage of them. That is do not build barracks in cities that will not need to make troops and don't make troops in every city.

Don't but universities in small cities, same for many structures. Look at what they do for you and what they cost to maintain.

Try to get a tech lead and sell techs, best if you can keep some of the civs broke, then they won't research as fast.

Maybe trade a spare luxs or resource for gpt, if you have some to spare.

Comment

PS, I forgot to mention many things, but one is important. Get out of despotism ASAP. Get to Monach or Rep, depending on your plans.

Get your empire as large quickly as is feasible. More pop means more worked tiles.

Comment

ok. you hit on one point I am playing on monarchy level c3c but I am using a mod so they may have something to do with it. I am not really worried about how much gold the AI have just how get mine up to that level. you made some interesting points I never think of. the major one is don't build units in every city and don't build improvements in every city. i build every inmprovement in every city so thats a good point. I will try some of those things and see what happen. thanks
        Jesse Evans
        The Turnbase King

Comment

and the computer cheats . How else could theyg et 20,000 gold?

although in my games they usually have nothing. I try to trade techs, but trading away even something worthless like Feudalism when I'm already in the industrial age for 10 gold just doesn't seem right.

Comment

Originally posted by Dissident
            and the computer cheats . How else could theyg et 20,000 gold?
            It's easy. Get a decent economy, never set science over 50%, don't start stupid wars and don't ever rush buildings. In my games the Carthaginians seem to always have a huge pile of gold, around the end of the medieval times. They can pay ridiculous amounts of gpt for my outdated techs, so I don't mind.
            Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Please post a save as an example.
              The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I don't have a save with a backward and rich AI, because it's hard to meet one. It would require a special situation where they almost never go to war. The only time I actually saw this was in a game with a truly bad start (tiny jungle island). I sucked when I first met the big continent. At the end of medieval times the Carthaginians had over 10000 cash and a tech lead, with only 4 cities.

The save is from PTW, with Polish names and probably slight rule modifications. I don't know if it will open properly. "Carthage" is called "Kartagina".
                Attached Files
                Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

like i say I am playing a mod so unable to post but for the most part all civs are broke. I wish it wasn't like that but they are. there are always 2 to 3 that have a brick load of money as I look on in envy. well I mean I can post but you won't be able to see it will you.
                  Jesse Evans
                  The Turnbase King

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1

... is this by any chance C3C without any of the later patches? In that case you could be seeing the gold bug.
                    I think I might be playing with the orginal version of C3C - how does this money bug work? any documentation?

Comment

cad4life - you cna post screenshots.

I screenshots
                      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

that is true. let me get one up. thanks
                        Jesse Evans
                        The Turnbase King

Comment

how do you post a screen print.
                          Jesse Evans
                          The Turnbase King

Comment

Originally posted by cad4life
                            how do you post a screen print.
                            As long as it is less than the allowed size for your account and in the format limits:
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Shr3dZ

I think I might be playing with the orginal version of C3C - how does this money bug work? any documentation?
                              Basically it double pays on any gpt deal that is made. So the AI can make a deal with another AI and it will get paid twice. The payer does not pay twice, only once.

So you could see lots of gold floating around.

Comment

Working...
                              X