Patch Confusion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Patch Confusion

I just purchased Civ 3 Gold Edition. I keep getting pop up screens with no info, then the game crashes. What patch specifically should I use? The version I have only has PTW and Civ 3 on two CD's. Oh and it's the American version. DO I use the Deluxe Gold patch or just the Gold patch? A direct link would be most appreciated.

When exactly are these popup screens? Upon attempting to install? In the middle of the game?

As far as I know (not having Civ3 Gold), Gold is just the regular versions of both Civ3 (vanilla, as we call it) and PTW. Upon launching the game and getting to the menu screen, at the bottom left I think is the game version.

The latest version of Civ3 vanilla is v1.29, and PTW v1.27
    If you have these versions, you may need to try a reinstall. If not, then download and apply these two patches. They work separately - so Civ3 should be a 'Civilization3.exe' file, and PTW a different one ('Civilization3X.exe').

Hang on a sec and I'll find you links to the latest patches for Civ3 and PTW.

EDIT: The patches are on this page. Just click on the versions I mention above if you don't already have them to download.
    Last edited by MrWhereItsAt; October 17, 2004, 04:57.
    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

My current version is 1.27f. The screens it tends to lock up on are the ones where you have researched a technology and it asks you to pick another or I click on the technology I just researched and the description of the technology pops up but there is no writing. If I can some how get out of that and go to the save game button, only the outline of that box shows up, but the individual buttons and saved games do not.

Comment

Looks like some of the text files are screwed up. Are you sure all is installed properly and you don't have edited anything? I don't have gold, I bought Civ3 and PtW separately. My patch level is 1.27 as well (it's final), but I never encountered things like this. However I have seen it happen in scenarios, when I edited game text files.

Try to reinstall the game and pay attention, that all installs properly.

Comment

When I finish my current game I will reinstal. I havent modified the game at all and installed it straight from the CD's.

Comment

You can always reinstall before finishing your game - that will not delete save games or anything, just in case you were worried about that.
            Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

I was more worried about the save files being corupted and not fixing my problem.

Comment

I just bought a pack with both the Civ III and the PTW disks.

Installed Civ III, started a testgame. No problems. Restarted the 'puter.

Installed the PTW add-on. started a few testgames. No problems. Restarted the 'puter.

Then I installed the newest patch Civ3PTW127f.exe. I have restarted the 'puter (just in case). But now the program asks me to insert the Civilization III - Play the World disk.

Of course the disk IS inserted - any clue?
                First they ignore you. Then they laugh at you. Then they fight you. Then you win.

Gandhi

Comment

Are you sure you have the correct CD-ROM inserted? Starting a vanilla game, you may need the vanilla disk (not sure about this one), starting a PtW game, you must have the PtW disk in.

Comment

You may have installed the wrong patches, well, when I say wrong, I actually mean right. It not as much your fault as it is Firaxis' who fumbled the ball.

You either downloaded the american patch and need the international one or vice versa.
                    Go to the page linked a few posts above yours and download and install the correct ones, that should fix it.
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Working...
                    X