Running A Debt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Running A Debt

Is there anything strategically wrong with constantly running a debt? More specifically, is there anything wrong with constantly having science on 100%, no matter what the circumstances? Sure, you lose out on being able to, say, rush buy things, but besides that, are there any consequences? I'm assuming that one is playing a completely peaceful game, probably on the easier levels of difficulty.

On any level of play higher than cheiftain, if you run a debt you will have either city improvements sold off to pay for costs or have units automaticlly disbanded because you can't afford the support cost.
    Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
    1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Your not allowed to have a debt. Buildings will be forceablly sold.

As to running a deficit with adequate reserves, there's no problem unless you want a trade deal with the AI trading GPT. If that's the case, you need to decrease science, sign the deal, and then increase the slider back.

Also note you may be wasting a lot of money if your not micromanaging the last few turns with a 100% science policy.
      1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
      Templar Science Minister
      AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

When I say running a debt I basically mean playing the game with no money at all times and a negative income every turn.

So are buildings and units forceably sold and disbanded in chieftain or not?

Comment

Originally posted by crapple33
          When I say running a debt I basically mean playing the game with no money at all times and a negative income every turn.

So are buildings and units forceably sold and disbanded in chieftain or not?
          You can get away with it at Chiefton only. ie nothing happens when you go into debt.

At every other level .. buildings and units are forceably sold and disbanded.
          "No Comment"

Comment

In other words, it's cheating.

Comment

It's not cheating ... it's just to make chiefton nice and easy for all the new players.

But it is not a tactic anyone would recommend

Remember this one

PTWDG Archive
              "No Comment"

Comment

As I said then, I've never played a game below Regent... it's cheating.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                  As I said then, I've never played a game below Regent... it's cheating.
                  If it's documented and intended, I fail to see how it would be cheating.
                  In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Is there an order of selling, like, will my troops go first, or my improvements?
                    I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

As I very seldom run a debt, I do not know this.
                      Founder of The Glory of War, CHAMPIONS OF APOLYTON!!!
                      1992-Perot , 1996-Perot , 2000-Bush , 2004-Bush :|, 2008-Obama :|, 2012-Obama , 2016-Clinton , 2020-Biden

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                        Is there an order of selling, like, will my troops go first, or my improvements?

Dont know.

I do remember in a PBEM, I was trading luxuries to another human player via an AI harbor.

5 turns later, the harbor dissappeared and our luxury deal fell over.

We assumed the AI must of run out of cash, and the harbor got disbanded.
                        "No Comment"

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                          If it's documented and intended, I fail to see how it would be cheating.
                          Unfair advantage.

Obviously it's not technically cheating since it's programmed in, but just as if I were playing against another human who allowed it, I wouldn't use it.

Comment

Just some small remarks ...

After banking (5 banks -> Wall Street) you should have at least 1000gp in your treasury, otherwise you lose up to 50gp per turn.

Also, if you have no money, AI civs demanding tribute have to go for techs instead, so the price you have to pay to avoid war could be extremely high.

IMO you should also keep a reserve in case of emergency (rush-buy walls in border cities when war breaks out etc. etc. etc.).

Comment

However, in C3C, you need to have (5) Stock Exhances to have build Wall Street.

And you don't pay the AI nuthin, IMO.
                              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                              X