No announcement yet.

Granaries?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been avoiding the size 6-7 boundary for a long time. That's why I didn't discover what I've learned here.

Originally posted by alexman
    Assuming you have a Granary, that's the point where you start size 7, so you are both saying the same thing.
    Surely, you start at size 7 with 10 food. If you don't reach 20 food, then you can go back down to size 6 or 5 without slowing your growth.

Of course, I've not tried anything yet, so feel free to point out the deliberate mistake.

Comment

If you go down from 7 to 6 it erases what progress you made.

Comment

Originally posted by Nor Me
        Surely, you start at size 7 with 10 food. If you don't reach 20 food, then you can go back down to size 6 or 5 without slowing your growth.
        Sorry, of course you're right that you start with 10. Not sure what I was thinking.

But as Trip says, if you go past 10 food at size 7 and then go down in population, you will get left with 10 food (zero if you don't have a Granary), even if you were between 10 and 20 food at size 7.

Comment

But will the city grow, if the timing is correct? I mean, will the city drop to size 5, or 6 if a Settler is finished and there is 20 food stored?
          Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

Does make a difference whether you time your Granary build on the same turn as pop growth of one turn before pop growth?
            So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
            Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Yes, you lose the extra food if it's built on the turn of Growth.

Modo44, if a size 7 city builds a Settler with 20 food in the box, you will get a size 5 city with 10 food in the box (or zero in the box if you have no Granary).

Comment

Food is tabulated first, then shields and finally commerce. Shields which are gained through growth are added in for that turn but commerce is not.

This means your Granary build will not be recognized until the food is applied and growth is taken care of. The net result, is, of course, what Alex has just said - if you grow the same turn that you complete a Granary then it won't be full the turn you build it.

Comment

Originally posted by Trip
                  Food is tabulated first, then shields and finally commerce. Shields which are gained through growth are added in for that turn but commerce is not.
                  Do you know this for sure? Would it not be the case that trade is worked out before food (and thus growth), then shields? How do you know that trade comes after growth, if the extra pop does not have any effect on trade anyway?
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

if the trade is calculated before growth that would expalin why pop dosnt get commerce
                    if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

Trade must be calculated at the very beginning of a turn, which is why you receive techs before you go through the city build cycle (and can exploit it by changing builds to those that use the new tech). Its also why you can revolt before the build cycle if the tech you discovered is a government tech.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Yeah, trade is calculated at the beginning of each turn, before growth.

Comment

I'm really, really hoping that civ 4 does away with the min & max turns of reserach and the trade calculation at the beginning of the turn and does this (and science) on a per city basis like Civ I, II, and SMAC.
                          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                          Templar Science Minister
                          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                          X