RE: Philosophy first

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dry

Yes, it is possible. I've already had it 2-3 times. From either philo or the free tech (not sure which one), but I never had 2 at the same time.
    So you're not sure if it's possible?
    I don't understand you here. Sentences 1 and 3 are in conflict.
    "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
    -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Seems I read your post too fast.
      I thought you meant that neither Philo itself, nor the FreeTech could generate any leader.
      What I meant, was that when you discover Philo and you choose another unknown tech, it is possible to generate a leader.
      What I'm not sure of, is which one of the 2 has REALLY generate it.
      The books that the world calls immoral are the books that show the world its own shame. Oscar Wilde.

Comment

yes it is possible, but even with scientific civ it is VERY slim chance: 0.05*0.05 = 0.0025 or 0.25%. One Scientific Greate Leader (SGL) does not prevent another SGL, but it prevents Military Great Leader (MGL) from showing up. I had SGL either for researching Philosophy itself or for bonus tech.

Some other facts:
        * you can get SGL from any of 2 free tech from The Theory of Evolution (same as any other requlary researched);
        * no SGL for "hut" discovered tech;
        * no SGL for bonus era tech (scientific civs).

Comment

Originally posted by joncnunn
          The more expensive tech you can have access to while still discovering Philosphacy first, the better.

Best possible that I'm aware of is Monarchy, requiring you to have Polythesism before finishing.
          Actually, the best free tech possible is Invention.
          Last edited by alexman; October 18, 2004, 12:32.

Comment

How is that?
            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

1. Get Philosophy as the last required tech of the ancient age.
              2. Before selecting your free tech, press F4 and bring two scientific AI civs into the middle ages.
              3. Hope they get Engineering and Feudalism as their free techs.
              4. Trade for Engineering and Feudalism with those civs.
              5. Exit the foreign advisor screen and select Invention as your free tech.

Simple, eh?

Comment

I thought you could get Gunpowder although as alexman is always right I wouldn't bet on it.
                You'd need to be scientific and be extremely rich. You'd have to go to "what's the big picture" from the era splah scene, sell and gift at least 2 scientific AIs to the middle ages and then buy Feudalism and monotheism from them and finally queue up Invention and gunpowder. It's unlikely but not impossible.

Comment

Yes, if you're scientific you could get Gunpowder following the above process, but technically that wouldn't be your free tech from Philosophy, it would be your free tech from being scientific.

Comment

OMFG!!

have you ever pulled that off??
                    You just wasted six ... no, seven ... seconds of your life reading this sentence.

Comment

I've tried to get Education from this method before but I failed. I'm sure I got the impression that the scientific tech came first. Although there was no option to select the philosophy tech afterwards, I assume that queuing them up would work.

Comment

Ahh I got it but isn't that considered an exploit?
                        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                          If you press shift and select a tech other than the one you are researching you create a custom tech queue. The free tech that you get will be the tech next in the queue after Philosophy..
                          thanks a lot I didn't know you could use shift to queue techs the way you queue production!

Comment

Originally posted by Krill
                            OMFG!!

have you ever pulled that off??
                            I seem to recall a game that I had this lined up and working, but one of the monkeys I keep in my basement choose that particular moment to hand me the manuscript for The Tempest he had just typed, so I forget how it turned out...
                            Last edited by Rommel2D; October 23, 2004, 13:30.
                            Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Working...
                            X