Fighter Intercept Rate IS affected by number of Interceptors

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighter Intercept Rate IS affected by number of Interceptors

I used to believe that the chance to be intercepted was not affected by the number of Interceptors available, based on threads here and CFC, and The FAQ for Civ3 at CFC.

But no more! Based on this thread at CFC, I now Firmly Believe that an abundance (say 6 to 10+) jet fighters on air superiority will improve the intercept RATE even against stealth fighters/bombers substantially.

Sustained intercept rate of 50%+ seems to be achievable vs. stealth units. Additional interceptors may be required to shoot down numerous incoming bombers. While testing was extensive, it was not statistically rigorous.

How did the scenario you created turn out? It's one thing to see it once, but the results must be replicable for it to have any significance. On another note, with 10 jet fighters in the city, I would expect a higher observed rate of interception since, unless I'm mistaken, each JF that hasn't made a run has a 5% chance to intercept. I wonder what the rate goes to if you consider each possible JF/SB combo separately.

For instance, SB1 did not get intercepted, so that counts as 10 non-intercepts.

Let me reiterate that this is based on the assumption that the stated chance of intercept is for a single defending fighter, as opposed to a one-shot RNG, then the AI selecting the top JF from the queue and sending it. That assumption may or may not be valid, AFAIK.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I played a few turns of Roland Johansen's scenario, and then 40 turns in a similar DEBUG scenario of my own making. Defending JFs were all in one city. I added bombers and fighters as needed, and accounted for the AI needing a turn to get a JF assigned to AS.
      The intercept rate roughly corresponded with the number of fighters, which ranged from 1 to as high as 10. I did not keep good records of the fighters available; I could not be SURE that they were always on intercept (e.g., after they were damaged), and I was a little stunned by the results of the first several turns.

Comment

Interesting. Now it has me wanting a MP debug setup, so I can play both sides.

I still wonder if the RNG for intercept/no intercept is keyed to the bomber or the interceptor, though.

Comment

Separate issue: I forget... what are the mechanisms for Flak and MSAMs? Supposedly the same?
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

I think so, except that Flak and MSAMs get an RNG shot at every bomber, regardless whether they've shot yet or not. Also, only four get those shots. A fifth A-A battery is simply ground defense.

Comment

I also assume fighters have to be set to air supremancy?
              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Yes, they do, Barinthus.

Comment

Working...
                X