Cultural Conversion - yeah right

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cultural Conversion - yeah right

ok this is ridiculous. The former japanese city revolted and pledged alliance to the japanese govt.

First: The japanese are sooooooo unimportant, they have just one city and that for quite some time now. Too much time that they'd play any role.
    Second: The distance is soooo far away (see the red lines on the map)
    Third: My civ is culturally superior to the Japanese.

Whatever formular applies, I highly doubt it's any good.
    Attached Files

Looks like most, if not all, the citizens were Japanese. That can be powerful, and is the reason starvation and building slaves can be so effective.
    Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

culture chart (taken 2 turns later)
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
        Looks like most, if not all, the citizens were Japanese. That can be powerful, and is the reason starvation and building slaves can be so effective.
        I never thought this could happen at such a distance, with such a tiny opponent, after such a time.
        Does time have an influence?

In addition Nagasaki has built up Culture for its own already.

Comment

Originally posted by Atahualpa

I never thought this could happen at such a distance, with such a tiny opponent, after such a time.
          Does time have an influence?

In addition Nagasaki has built up Culture for its own already.
          Time has the influence of eventually turning those Japanese citizens into your citizens but it takes time. The quickest way is to starve the city down to one pop point and build up again. All the new citizens will be your citizens not Japanese.

Regarding culture, yes you'll need some of your own, but in order for it to be effective you need a majority of your citizens over Japanese citizens.

Comment

"ATTENTION... YOU THERE, THE CAVALRY ARMY IN NAGOYA... YOU ARE ORDERED TO PROCEED IMMEDIATELY TO NAGASAKI AND KICK B*TT!!!!"
            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

T... that's a single cavalry unit. There must be more where it came from, though, so the premise of your order stands.

Comment

A single Cavarly unit with 8 HP's, while Infantry only have 4? Now that's a nice human-biased mod if ever I've seen one
                So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Check the 6-hp infantry at Nara, Aqualung. I suspect he's playing a mod that bumps base hp with each era to avoid the spearman/tank problem.

Comment

Ah yes, missed that one Still, 4/6/8 is still probably slightly better than 3/4/5 for an underpowered elite attacker
                    So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
                    Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

that is why you HAVE to wipe out the host civ. This happens to me whenever I don't finish the job, some time in the modern era the city flips back.

Comment

the infantry looks to be a regular or conscript, there is an 8hp infantry guy further up on the picture. I have it set up to just double all the hps, as well as do some other things(blitz on destroyers is nice for dealing with wooden ship swarms for instance).

Comment

As long as there are overlapping tiles or native citizens in your city, there is always a chance for flipping.

Distance from the capital and culture are just modifiers.

This must have been one of the most unluckiest rolls I have ever seen; and I know what unlucky rolls are! (just ask my PBEM partners)

Here is a link to a culture flip calculator. Maybe you can tell us what were the chances for this to happen.

and the details: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...threadid=53157
                          "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                          --George Bernard Shaw
                          A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                          --Woody Allen

Comment

This is why I turned off flips. Sure, it's fun when a peacetime border city flips to you, or even when one of yours flips to the AI, in those rare instances (like the time I stupidly tried to culture bomb Babylon). But the long distance flip and wartime flip are simply minor nuisances that don't add anything to the game and, IMO, take away more than the other kind of flip adds.

Comment

I sometimes flip more than I conquer with sheer force, so I suppose it is a question of personal preferences in how to play the game.
                              "The only way to avoid being miserable is not to have enough leisure to wonder whether you are happy or not. "
                              --George Bernard Shaw
                              A fast word about oral contraception. I asked a girl to go to bed with me and she said "no".
                              --Woody Allen

Comment

Working...
                              X