arms trading.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arms trading.

you can't buy or sell arms. what the hell? this would be great for propping up somebody you need.

A game feature deemed to easy for the human player to exploit against the AI.
    Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

let the ai do it, too.

Comment

The AI is dumb enough to sell workers. That's bad enough, really.
        Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

True, but in Civ2 you could gift advanced units to the AI. I'd recommend making it horrendously expensive for the human to buy advance units from the AI, but going in the other direction would be a good idea.

Comment

They're not going to change it for Civ3 now. They're basically done with it after the C3C v1.22 patch. Any new features (or old as the case may be) would have to be considered for Civ4 not Civ3.

Comment

There is a thread in the Civ4 section that addresses this. Lots of people are for it, if it can be done in a way to not compromise SP games. (read: dumb AI)
              Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

yeah it would have been fun to have it
                Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                I am of the Horde.

Comment

"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                  "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                  2004 Presidential Candidate
                  2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

What do you mean by this? Selling/exchanging troops with another civ? This shouldn't be difficult to implement, as it was in SMAC. Perhaps Firaxis decided it wasn't such a good idea for some reason in Civ3. For example an ally could gift someone half a dozen defensive units and have them instantly appear in their last remaining city, preventing conquest. This would be rather unbalancing, I feel. If gifted units change ownership without changing position, you couldn't gift units from inside your own cities, and since you can only gift units that are outside, you'd need to somehow have a way of gifting the exact unit you wanted to gift, so you'd need some kind of map-based gifting screen or option. And if you were trying to gift multiple units in a single trade then you couldn't just click on a single unit and use the 'gift to' key. And if you had a key to gift a unit, how would you gift units that had already moved?

As you can see there are quite a number of issues with this feature, and I imagine it would take rather some thought and coding time to get such a small addition sorted. But then perhaps they have some ideas now, and something like it will be in cIV.
                    Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Also it would probably be fairly easy to exploit the AI unless some general restiriction like the one on city-trading were implemented.
                      "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
                      -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

but if they had an airport that is possible and realistic.after retaking the area with your units,you could even gift all the cities back to him

you could only gift units that were in cities and then only in diplomacy MWIA,although i never used this option

also,if you sent an advanced unit over,you could reverse engineer abilties\options it had into your own units courtesy of the unit workshop IIRC
                        if you want to stop terrorism; stop participating in it

''Oh,Commissar,if we could put the potatoes in one pile,they would reach the foot of God''.But,replied the commissar,''This is the Soviet Union.There is no God''.''Thats all right'' said the worker,''There are no potatoes''

Comment

I loved being able to create special units for export in SMAC. I wish they had this feature for Civ3, hopefully for Civ4. Are you listening Meier?
                          signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by Cookie Monster
                            I loved being able to create special units for export in SMAC. I wish they had this feature for Civ3, hopefully for Civ4. Are you listening Meier?
                            I doubt that Sid has little direct contact with the sofware developers, it seems to me he's semi-retired from the gaming world. Even if he is working with Firaxis, it is certain that he is not checking the fan sites for comments, as it is rare to see a Firaxian on the boards these days.
                            * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                            * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                            * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                            * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Perhaps gifting would require working trade route... Also, perhaps one could mark, in city view, the units that are "available" for gifting. Also, depending on tech level, the appearing of the units would take some turns.

(Though, if military strength would be measured in manpower and equipment, you could send, hmm, "volunteers" to aid in the strugle, to be armed by the receiver, or material aid, used by the receivers nationals, or both. In my idea, in peace time you don't usually have an army, just a number of manpower depending on your birthrate/average age/conscription rate/budget, and anything from crossbows to tanks mothballed.
                              Someone declares war, and depending on your military readynes, you can summon a number of units to the border. One could have huge army with average equipment, like China, or smallish army with 1'st rate equipment, like the US...)
                              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                              X