Civ III Complete

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civ III Complete

I am looking for some reviews. I just started playing Civ3 - any version with my purchase of Civ III Complete.

These are a few things that I noticed right away and I will continue to add my thoughts.

1 - Civ III came in a few flavors: Civ3, Civ3GOTY, C3PTW, C3C, Civ3Gold. Civ III Complete claims to have all of these in one 3 CD boxed set. Yes & No. True enough all the disc are there, but not separately. The install forces you to install the whole thing. I never even wanted C3C. Now I've got it.

What does that mean when I play a single player Civ3 game? Is Industriousnessosity weakened as in C3C? What about the other changes introduced in C3C? Can I load Civ3 senerios and maps or just C3C files?

2 - As a long time player of Civ2 single player, I find that this first game of Civ III Complete provides an easy transition. All the features that I wanted in Civ2 are here.

Please add your comments and I will try to answer some of my own questions in this thread.
    Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

3 - Where is my CD case? There are no CD crystals or even paper slips to store the CDs in. Very odd.

4 - OK. I rarely cheated in Civ2, but it was nice once I knew I would lose anyway to toggle cheat mode on and Nuke the French! It was also nice to be able to see the whole map when admiring the works of a master map builder.

5 - The game comes with many add on senerios, tile sets, and maps found in Civ Content. I was amazed at how easy it was to load Sn00py's new graphics, switch to watercolor, then switch back to standard graphics.

6 - Civ III - Complete still hasn't fixed that problem that I had with Civ2. The game seems to mess with the Time Space Continuum. I start playing at 10pm and then 15 minutes later it's 2am! Very un-nerving.

7 - I love the idea that each civ has its own strengths and weaknesses besides the UU. This game seems to have endless possibilities.

8 - Don't leave the CD in the drive when you shut down. On start up it starts some processes (ATAR1.EXE ????) and the CD spins like crazy.
    Now. Back to work.
    Banano Laŭrajta Registaro en Ekzilo - Bananoj gismorte!| Cows O' Plenty|Wish List For ciV | Ming on Spammers: ...And, how do you know that I'm not just spamming by answering him |"This is all about peace; and in the quest for peace you have none." -my son wise beyond his years

Comment

Re: Civ III Complete

Originally posted by skrobism

What does that mean when I play a single player Civ3 game? Is Industriousnessosity weakened as in C3C? What about the other changes introduced in C3C? Can I load Civ3 senerios and maps or just C3C files?
      I don't have Complete, but when you install PtW or C3C separately, they are installed as separate directories within the Civ3 directory. Hopefully you will find three different .exe files Civilization3.exe for Civ3 vanilla; Civilization3X.exe for PtW and Civ3Conquests.exe for Conquests. Launching these will only launch the features associated with that particular version. So if you wanted to play with the initial, superior version of the Industrial trait, just play using the Civilization.exe or Civilization3X.exe.

If thes three directories are all installed, you can always deleter the Conquests one.
      Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Thanks! That is exactally what happened.

C:\Program Files\Atari\Civilization III Complete\Civilization3.exe

C:\Program Files\Atari\Civilization III Complete\civ3PTW\Civilization3X.exe

C:\Program Files\Atari\Civilization III Complete\Conquests\Civ3Conquests.exe

It looks like these all have their own editor EXEs as well. Great news. Now to test a downloaded save to see if these are compatible.

Comment

I haven't tried to play a downloaded save yet.

I have tried Regicide. Great game option. This allows for some quick games on a tiny map. Perfect for busy people like me.

I have to say that I'm thoroughly enjoying this game.

I like the changes made to trade and unit support.

Anybody else buy this version? Anybody else new to Civ3 out there?

Comment

Downloaded saves? What do you mean? Do you mean a fanmade map or conquest? If so I haven't tried these either... Not even the Conquests that come with the game....

If you are looking for somewhere interesting to start, have a look at the recently made available Democracy Game map made specifically with challenge and some fun situations/positions in mind by BigFurryMonster and Togas.

Otherwise I'd suggest trying out one of the Apolyton University courses. They have specific objectives/conditions of victory to test out. There is also a modified version of the basic game rules made specially for these games (but not exclusive to them) that has been collaborated on by dozens of the best players we have at Apolyton to balance the game rules a bit based on common complaints.

Of course perhaps playing a few normal games could be good at the same time.

Welcome, skrobism. Are you an ACDGer, Civ2er, CtPer...?
            Consul.

Comment

re: downloaded saves.
              That's what I meant. Maps, succession game saves, fan made scenerios, etc. I will try a few of these tonight.

re: what am I?
              Well, I've been a member since 2001. I have tried ToT and SMAC but played a lot of Civ2.42. Lost interest, left for a few years and returned recently. I am cheap and can't go dropping over $50 bucks on the latest game and then needing to buy the adds on at $30 - $40. So, I wait for the prices to drop. The problem with Civ3 is that it price never dropped. Other games that came out at the same time are in the $5 and $10 bins while Civ III Complete is still $40. A sign of a truely great game.

I think I've wandered.

Anyway, I played Civ2.42. Never at the level of some of these guys, but still had a ton of fun. Civ3 promises to be just as addictive.

Thanks for the welcome.

Comment

MrWhereItsAt,
                To play the AU saves do I need the AU mod? Will the AU mod forever hose up my game?

Comment

AU games do not require you to download anything besides the 4000 BC save.

However, if you want to use the AU mod in your own random games, then you do need to download the AU mod scenario file, put it in your Conquests\Scenarios folder, and select the AU mod from the Civ3-Content menu after you start C3C. It's similar to playing the C3C Conquests, and there is zero chance of your machine being hosed.

Comment

Originally posted by skrobism The problem with Civ3 is that it price never dropped. Other games that came out at the same time are in the $5 and $10 bins while Civ III Complete is still $40. A sign of a truely great game.
                    That's unlucky, 'cos here in NZ Civ3 dropped in price rather quickly, and you could get it and C3C here for around $45US equivalent total prior to Complete being released.

Do you get games rereleased as 'Platinum editions' where you are, in a smaler box for 1/3 the price?
                    Consul.

Comment

Originally posted by skrobism
                      The problem with Civ3 is that it price never dropped. Other games that came out at the same time are in the $5 and $10 bins while Civ III Complete is still $40. A sign of a truely great game.
                      No, a sign of a slick marketing idea.
                      civ3 plus 2 expansion packs - thats about $13 per...
                      Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
                      ...aisdhieort...dticcok...

Comment

alexman - thanks for the info.

MrWhereItsAt - Sure games get discounted and repacked here in the States. Just had very little luck with Civ3.

Hex - I don't know. Demand for Civ3 must have kept the price up. I have seen games marketed and promo'd well but go nowhere but to the discount bin. I am thinking of Black & White for one.

Sorry about the delay in replying to my own post. Had no time this weekend to surf the web. I will try the AU games tonight.

Comment

re: Hotseat play & maps

I remember in TOT Hotseat everyone saw the same map. Civ3 Complete adds passwords for each player and the maps are seperate. Nice.

re: Hotseat play and negotiations

In TOT when you'd negotiate with a player you got the AI. Civ3 Complete allows negotiations with your human opponant, but this can span several turns. Better, but I don't see why the human in question could not be called back to negotiate out of turn. Oh well.

Comment

One bad thing of Hotseat (and PBEM):
                            Only last human player in the row can see AI moves.

That could be anoying if AI sneak attacked you and you don't noticed it at your own turn.

Comment

Working...
                            X