No announcement yet.

Newbie and Terrain Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For a newbie, just stick to the basics: Mine the green stuff, irrigate the yellow stuff, roads on both, ignore all other terrain. Once out of despotism this all changes but it's a good enough at the lower levels.

Comment

Irrigating the green and mining the yellow at the very beginning always works well for me. I also like to get mountains mined ASAP, because when I've got just a couple of citizens, one can be pulling in like three shields the whole time. The green is pretty worthless for shields.

Last edited by Solomwi; October 1, 2004, 16:44.
      Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

Originally posted by chuckdelicious
        There are no set rules for tile improvement, it really depends on the city and it's surroundings and, of course, if you are still is despotism. If you really want to have some fun, post a screen shot of a city and we'll debate on how it should be developed!
        I just might do that
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

I'll do it right now.

Here we have Athens, the pride of Greece, it works on a hoplite to settler to hoplite ect. production schedule and my thoughts would be to irrigate the plains, mine all grasslands, irrigate bonus grasslands when food is needed. Make sure to clean up pollution from volcano right away if it erupts.
          Attached Files
          I changed my signature

Comment

Delphi here we should irrigate any plains, mine mountains and hills, and irrigate a grassland for every hill and two grasslands for each mountain, starting with bonuses.
            Attached Files
            I changed my signature

Comment

I would irrigate the tile NE of Athens and then irrigate the Game tile. Athens needs a better Food surplus if it's going to keep producing Settlers.
              And her eyes have all the seeming of a demon's that is dreaming...

Comment

Yup, game should be irrigated...

Something's wrong though. Game on grass gives 3 food and 0 shields. However, it's mined and provides 2 shields and its not a GA. Something is wrong...

Comment

It looks like a republic and the tile is still forested...
                  Enjoy Slurm - it's highly addictive!

Comment

Yeah, Republic is right... but I'm not seeing the forest. There's a forest clearly directly south of the game but it does not look like the game itself is still forested.

Comment

There is a forest, just the tile happens to contain a small graphic. A roaded game in forest would produce exactly the amounts this screenie shows.
                      Seriously. Kung freaking fu.

Comment

The tile is still forested and that forest should be harvested. If Athens is going to be a settler pump, some of the grassland should be irrigated immediately and then the forest cut and the game irrigated. If Athens isn't going to be a settler pump, this should happen anyway, but there's not such a rush.

Onto Delphi, why do you have your worker mining that square? Irrigate it, grow that city quickly to take advantage of the mined inscence.

Well, that was fun! Just my two cents on the matter.

Comment

For Athens, given that there are no hills / mountains in city raidius that after choping the forests for shields, I'd plant forests with Enginnering on grassland no shield tiles. Then when Railroads come along, chop down the forests, mine, and railroad.

For Delphi, I'd be irrigating right now where the worker is mining. I'd next make an irrigation path to the other bonsus grassland, and then start roading and mining hills. When the culture expands, chop the forests, irrigate the plains and bonus grassland, convert one no shield irrigated grassland to mined grassland, and continue mining hills.
                          1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                          Templar Science Minister
                          AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Working...
                          X