Incorrect starting location

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Incorrect starting location

Hi, I downloaded a map from Poly and started a new game with Rome , however the problem seems to be that I always start in Spains posistion!
    any ideas?
    Cheers
    Matt
    Up The Millers

Go into the game editor, not the game itself. Load this Map/Scenario; go to the starting position of your choice or to where 'Rome' should/must be. It there is already a city or circle indicating a starting position then right click and select 'properties', there select change click the middle one and scroll to Romans. Select OK, Ok, save and exit.

If no starting position is there (or has moved/corrupted), then go the Map tab and on bottom set active player on the spot where you want Rome to start. Here do again as above select the middle, scroll to Rome, OK, OK, save and exit.
    The Graveyard Keeper
    Of Creation Forum
    If I can't answer you don't worry
    I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Still doesnt work, I am using the first version of Conquests.
      I have tried England instead and thats fine, Rome Starts on a Hill , is perhaps this which is a problem?
      Any ideas?
      Matt
      Up The Millers

Comment

Well, once you load this scenario into the game editor you can,

a. move the hill
        b. change the hill
        c. move the city/starting location

What do you want to do? Rome WAS built upon seven hills!
        The Graveyard Keeper
        Of Creation Forum
        I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Just want to start in Italy
          Rome being on a Hill is not a problem to me, it seems strange that such a big City was able to grow so well on this terrain? It must be like Los angeles or matlock town?
          Up The Millers

Comment

The hills provided good grazing land and defense, historically. Quite a number of the big cities of today started on hills for the purpose of defense.
            Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
            Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
            "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

Originally posted by Iskandar Reza
              The hills provided good grazing land and defense, historically. Quite a number of the big cities of today started on hills for the purpose of defense.
              Yes, it was virtually a requirement for a Greek polis.
              "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
              -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Well they didn't really have a choice, the whole area was rolling and it's only natural for people to BELIEVE that their methodologies are the best; like there's ONLY this way or that way to achieve *insert whatever here*.
                Don't drink and drive, smoke and fly.
                Anti-bush and anti-Bush.
                "Who's your Daddy? You know who your Daddy is, huh?? It's me! Yeah.. I'm your Daddy! Uh-huh! How come I'm your Daddy! 'Coz I did this to your Mama? Yeah, your Mama! Yeah this your Mama! Your Mama! You suck man, but your Mama's sweet! You suck, but your Mama, ohhh... Uh-huh, your Mama! Far out man, you do suck, but not as good as your Mama! So what's it gonna be? Spit or swallow, sissy boy?" - Superfly, joecartoon

Comment

Worthingtons, place a 'resource' on the hill, next to the hill and all around, this way your Rome will kick ass! I do it all time when I mod. It is your game, have fun doing as you please.
                  The Graveyard Keeper
                  Of Creation Forum
                  I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Originally posted by Worthingtons
                    Just want to start in Italy
                    Rome being on a Hill is not a problem to me, it seems strange that such a big City was able to grow so well on this terrain? It must be like Los angeles or matlock town?
                    Rome was also founded on the Tiber river so that helped, and it was pretty close to the ocean, so fishing was a good source of food. One problem that I invariably have with most world maps is that they have way too few rivers on them. In the US (and the world) almost every single major city is either located on the a coast or river.
                    * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                    * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                    * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                    * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Rome was founded not on one, but on seven hills. Just like Sheffield (or so that's their claim to fame)

And Las Vegas is just being difficult. US' fastest growing city slap bang in the desert.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                        Rome was founded not on one, but on seven hills. Just like Sheffield (or so that's their claim to fame)
                        Already noted.

And Las Vegas is just being difficult. US' fastest growing city slap bang in the desert.
                        Vegas is an exception to the rule and only possible in relatively modern times (Vegas needs a 200 mile aqueduct to maintain its water needs, as does LA).
                        * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                        * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                        * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                        * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Originally posted by Dauphin
                          That's okay.
                          It won't last much longer if this western-Rocky-Mountain drought continues. Once the water supply dries up, given that 1/4 of the economy is based on construction/development industry dependent on continued city growth
                          it will seem like an earlier version of Civ, when you could just add workers despite inadequate food!

Comment

Seattle was built upon seven hills, one leveled re-made man-made, (downtown). So obviously, in a few centuries or so we are 'destined' to 'rule the world'. Obvious, isn't it?

Worthington, edit a 'river' through those hills, place 'iron' there upon with gold and gems in hills near-by. Stuff some cows north and south and seed the water with fish and whales.

Now when you start as Rome, history WILL surely repeat itself!
                            The Graveyard Keeper
                            Of Creation Forum
                            I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

have to go into the editor. And you have to play the map as a scenario. Kind of annoying. You would think it wouldn't take a step back from civ2 in this regard.

Comment

Working...
                              X