Dilpomancy - Clarifications

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dilpomancy - Clarifications

What actions affect my relations with other civs (AIs) in terms of diplomatic relations?

For instance if I called upon a civ wanting to negiotate but was unable to reach an agreement. Basically I end the contact without making a deal - does this have any effect on his attitude toward me? I'm asking because some comments made by some leaders seem to imply that they're not happy that I contacted them for 'no reason.'

If I renegiotate their terms again and again, does this have any effect?

Suppose they contact me and I turn down their terms and didn't reach at any alterative agreement, would they go away more upset than before? (Somebody suggested making a 'harmless' trade such as maps or making a gift of 5 gold to avoid this but I'm curious what if I refused to accept their offer and we couldn't reach an agreement).

Now for something different yet related - Suppose I had a military alliance and was fighting a war with a civ we had an alliance against. The alliance usually is for 20 turns period and from what I understood, if I made peace with the enemy civ before that time period expires, the ally civ would be upset with me?

Thanks for suffering with this newbie - I want to improve my ability to maintain positive dilpomatic relations with AIs (if that's ever possible! I always seem to tick them off no matter what)
    Who is Barinthus?

I don't remember the name, but there was an article done at CFC a while back about everything that can happen to affect your relationship with the AI. I think it's in one of the strategy links they have over there, but I'm not positive (don't go there much ).

As to the military alliance, yes they would become upset with you if you terminated the war before you ended the alliance.

Comment

This link will take you to an article that may answer some of your questins.
      Do you believe in Evil? The Nefarious Mr. Butts
      The continuing saga of The Five Nations
      A seductress, an evil priest, a young woman and The Barbarian King

Comment

Thanks! I don't visit CFC myself unless directed there by a poster to a specific thread. I prefer to use my spare time playing Civ3, not wandering all over the Internet!

Very much appreciated, 1889 and Rhothaerill
        Who is Barinthus?

Comment

The article was based on PTW but I'd imagine there's not much difference with C3C? Regardless, a very helpful document.
          Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Suppose I and a civ signed a military alliance against an enemy civ. War occurs and I already reached my objectives but I'm waiting for the 20 turns period to end. It ended but checking the diplo screen, we are still in a military alliance against the enemy civ. I go ahead and sign a peace treaty with the enemy. Will this hurt my rep/attitude/whatever?
            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
              Suppose I and a civ signed a military alliance against an enemy civ. War occurs and I already reached my objectives but I'm waiting for the 20 turns period to end. It ended but checking the diplo screen, we are still in a military alliance against the enemy civ. I go ahead and sign a peace treaty with the enemy. Will this hurt my rep/attitude/whatever?
              Yes, it will. You need to officially end the alliance through diplomacy with that civ first. Then you can go and sign a peace treaty.
              "I used to be a Scotialist, and spent a brief period as a Royalist, but now I'm PC"
              -me, discussing my banking history.

Comment

Mmm how do you do that - terminating an alliance? Going to the active section of the diplo screen and click on military alliance? I admit I haven't explored the active screen very much.
                Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by Barinthus
                  Mmm how do you do that - terminating an alliance? Going to the active section of the diplo screen and click on military alliance? I admit I haven't explored the active screen very much.
                  That's exactly what you do. Click on it once to bring it up to the main screen, and then click on it again to terminate it. You can then check the active section again to make sure it's gone.

Comment

I have turned on "Always renegotiate deals", so my partners always come to me to either extend or terminate the deal. This works for any deal, not just military alliances, but if you make a trade deal both sides have to give resources and/or GPT in order to renegotiate. If one or both sides only give one time payments (gold and/or tech), the deal is not renegotiated. For instance, if you agreee to give some tech and/or gold (but no GPT or some resource) in exchange for a resource, the deal ends without renegotiation. This is very important, because as soon as your advisor tells you you have lost that resource, the other civ is free to trade it to someone else, so by the time your turn comes it may no longer be available.
                    The monkeys are listening.

Comment

Thanks, guys. I tried that out last night - terminating agreements. Whew, it sure save me a lot of headache. I used to wait for those to expire ha.

Dr. A. Cula, I'll try that in my next epic game.
                      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
                      X