No announcement yet.

No Picture

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hehe well that's comforting... we're all idiots.

Meanwhile, i downloaded the DirectX thingy from the link that Blackcat posted, but it still didn't solve my problem. I wasn't even able to see that "OpenGL not supported" error that BlackCat said he saw after updating his DirectX. The exact same problem remains for me, my monitor shuts off but i can still hear the menu music.

Gah, all this downloading and messing around, but no results.

You guys must be getting pretty annoyed by me constantly posting for help. But does anybody have any other tricks up their sleeve? My morale is low, haha, but i'm desperate to play this game.

I'm really appriciating all the help you guys are giving me by the way. I'll send you 50 dollars in the mail.*

*Disclaimer: May not actually send money.
    Last edited by NickB33; April 9, 2005, 22:05.

Comment

What happens when you check your directX installment?

Start--->Run-->type"dxdiag"
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Have you tried the binkw32.dll thingie and what else is recommended in the readme.txt ?

Troubleshooting:

* Civilization III requires OpenGL support. If you experience problems, make sure to download and install the latest drivers for your videocard and any service pack updates to your operating system.

* If you experience movie performance problems on Windows 2000, replace the binkw32.dll in the folder you installed Civilization III into with the binkw32.dll located on the CD in the \Bink\Win2k folder.

* Under Windows XP, you need to restart the game if you switch users accounts.

* Make sure your video card's hardware acceleration is set to maximum. The game requires DirectX 8.0a to run, and if this setting is less that full many DX8 features are disabled. To can access this setting from the Display control panel.

* Enabling Smoothed Screen Fonts: To enable Font Smoothing, open the Display Control panel, select the Effects tab, and check 'Smooth edges of screen fonts'.

* First edition versions Windows 95 did not include OpenGL, which Civilization III requires. A program named 'opengl95.exe' can be found in the root of the game's CD, which will install the required drivers. NOTE: This is only for first edition versions of Windows 95 that have trouble running Civilization III. If you don't have a first edition version of Windows 95 or you are not having difficulty starting the game, do not install these drivers!

* On Windows 2000, if you experience any problems with fonts or text, make sure to download and install the latest service pack available for this operating system. You can find the latest service pack at www.microsoft.com.
        With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Originally posted by NickB33
          Hehe well that's comforting... we're all idiots.
          Yeah, it took me a while to figure out Alva's comment

You guys must be getting pretty annoyed by me constantly posting for help.
          Nope - just hoping others will be just as patient when we get stuck with a problem

And to the serious. Are you sure that your VC driver update went well ? I made two mistakes when I had my problem.

I didn't uninstall previous driver before installing new, and didn't disable virus checking during install. I don't know how much a problem the first was, but the second actually prevented installation of the new drivers.

Keep on working with your problem
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

@alva - What happens? Well, a box comes up that tells me a bunch of information. It looks like everything went well. It says that my DirectX version is 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904). Most other tabs say there are no problems found.

@BlackCat - Hmm, i actually did uninstall the old driver before installing the new one. But what i didn't do is disable my virus program. I'll try that, thanks!

I'll try the bink thingy while i'm at it. I tried this once before, and didn't solve anything. But i've reinstalled the game since then so i might aswell do it again for kicks and giggles.

Cheers fellas.

Comment

*GASP* - It worked!

I'm back in business. I've been playing the game for the past 3 hours.

I solved the problem by doing what BlackCat suggusted, shutting down the anti virus program while installing the Video card driver. I didn't even need to do the bink thingy.

I'm so happy i could cry. Looks like a few late nights for nick.

Thanks fellas, much appriciated.

Comment

That should be worth a beer or two if I end up in your neighbourhood some day - just don't expect it to happen soon - there are 20 Kkm, but you could try to give it to our crown princess, she visits you more often

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                X