units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• units

I'm wondering in Civ3 does a unit type perform at a certain task better than others? I'm referring to military types, not workers.

For instance if I had a cavalry type unit and an infantry type unit of same attacking strength and I want to take a city. Would those two have equal chances of taking the city?

In some games, infantry have a better fighting advantage over mobile units when assaulting an enemy fortified position such as forts and cities - I was wondering if this is applicable to Civ3?
    Who is Barinthus?

Re: units

Originally posted by Barinthus
    I'm wondering in Civ3 does a unit type perform at a certain task better than others? I'm referring to military types, not workers.

For instance if I had a cavalry type unit and an infantry type unit of same attacking strength and I want to take a city. Would those two have equal chances of taking the city?

In some games, infantry have a better fighting advantage over mobile units when assaulting an enemy fortified position such as forts and cities - I was wondering if this is applicable to Civ3?
    There wouldn't be a difference of the type I believe you're talking about (i.e. pikemen were historically better at taking down cavalry than a troop of swordsmen, etc.). Give your example of attack strength being equal than a multi-move cavalry type unit would always be preferrable in Civ3 because of the chance for retreat if it is losing. It doesn't help take the city any more than an infantry unit would, but it can live to fight another day.

Comment

Thanks, Rhothaerill. You answered my question .
      Who is Barinthus?

Comment

BTW, that was the case in Civ2, and I suspect is likely for Civ4... it does make some sense, after all.
        The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

and now in C3C some units have a higher anti-air ability than others... Count me as hoping that there is more diversity of units/abilities in C4

Comment

I'm hoping for something similar to Panzer General 2.

I'd have 100 arty and two infantry. My arty would chow any attacker to pieces, provided they have enough ammo...
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus
              BTW, that was the case in Civ2, and I suspect is likely for Civ4... it does make some sense, after all.
              Really??? Never realized that! I didn't for SMAC either until I spotted somewhere in a manual that infantry units have some kind of advantage in attacking a base over rovers.
              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

But I think that was just pikemen against horsies...
                I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Civ2 did have a few combat bonuses:

Pikeman vs. horse
                  Howitzers ignore city walls
                  Aegis Cruisers vs. air units
                  Fixed wing vs. helicopters
                  Surface ship vs. sub
                  Air unit vs. ship unit
                  Ship unit vs. land unit
                  Partisan vs. 0 attack units
                  Sneak attack bonus

There may be more but these are what I remember.

Comment

Oh, those I knew.

I was thinking of more along lines of taking a city. If I was launching an assault against defenders in a city, would I be better off using infantry or cavalry's just equal to the task? Naturally I'd use artillery to soften up the enemy's positions first.

In my first epic game I'm playing now, I just discovered flight so I'm looking forward to exploring using my air power.
                    Who is Barinthus?

Comment

"Ignore City Walls" was the closest thing to what you are talking about. In Civ3, all that matters is attack strength vs. defense, although 2+ movers have a chance of retreat so they are better units overall.

You can't really explore with air units in Civ3, although fighters can fly recon missions.

Comment

Working...
                      X