Newbie ?: Building colony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie ?: Building colony

I know this gets the dumb award. I am trying to get workers to build a colony on an icon-resource outside of my territory. I have roads built to it from my cities. I hit "B" and worker does nothing. When I do Ctrl-B, I get the box and when I put it over a resource, the worker does nothing. I think it is supposed to build a road and then build a colony.

I must be missing something.

BJ

You should be able to hit B when the worker is on the tile, no problem.

You're sure it isn't in anyone's territory?

Comment

I assume the territory is the polygon surrounding one's cities.

I am not sure what are the resources that you build a colony on. Are they the pictures icons that show up on a tile?

BJ

Comment

Best to post a screenshot.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by brycej
          I am not sure what are the resources that you build a colony on. Are they the pictures icons that show up on a tile?

BJ
          That might be the problem. Not all resources provide you with empire-wide benefits; some only provide bonuses to their specific tiles, and as there's no point to building colonies on these "Bonus" Resources, you can't.

Yeah, best to post a screenshot, or the name of the resource you're trying to build on.

Comment

If the resource is actually a resource and is not in someones culturual borders, you can build a colony.

So if it is not in anyones border, it is probably not a resource as such. IOW bananas and such are not resources or luxs perse.

Resources are Iron/Coal/Saltpetter/Horses and the like. Luxs also count, such as Wines/Spices/Silk.

Comment

Originally posted by brycej
              I assume the territory is the polygon surrounding one's cities.

BJ
              Sounds like you're trying to build a colony in the wrong place. You can only build them on tiles that lie outside yours, or another civ's, cultural boundaries, not just that of your cities. If a resource is within your boundary, all you need is a road.

Also, you can only build colonies on Strategic and Luxury resources, so just look in the Civilopedia to see what these are.

Comment

colonies/sparkles

My problem was that not all resources can have colonies on them. For example, wheat and cattle don't cut it but diamonds, horses, and iron do. Hopefully I have the names right.

One other question: I have a tile near one of my cities that "sparkles." What is that about?

Comment

Not sure what you mean by that, screen shot would help. Is it constant or transitory? IOW is a flash and is gone?

If it is that, then it coudl be the indicator for polluting cities. You get a puff of smoke that can be seen as a spakle on some surrounding tiles.

Comment

The sparkles happen every few seconds. Just one tile. Near a city. Not exactly my biggest city. I am around 1300 AD.

BJ

Comment

Is the city size 6 or over? Are there no unhappy citizens in the city, and as many happy as content?

If the answer to both of those questions is yes, they're fireworks because your city is in We Love the * Day. Shield waste is lowered a little bit when your cities enter this celebration.

Comment

Working...
                      X