No announcement yet.

What is "seed"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok guys, maybe Im like the last guy on the wagon or something, but what about the option when you start a new game (Preserve Random Seed) what does that do? If i tell it no. And input the same settings for landmass, type, yadda yadda yadda, will i get the same map? I just want to know what that option does at all. Thanks ya'll!

Comment

Having a 32-bit seed only allows for ~4 billion different maps

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        Having a 32-bit seed only allows for ~4 billion different maps
        2^32-1* Number of combinations of map settings = oy!

Originally posted by Barinthus
        If I was to leave the seed value at default (0), the map will be different everytime?
        They may have tied seed value 0 as random seed?

Comment

Im pretty sure they tied 0 to random, because else lots of people would complain they always get the same map etc. etc..

Comment

That makes sense, LulThyme
            Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Originally posted by theDragon
              Ok guys, maybe Im like the last guy on the wagon or something, but what about the option when you start a new game (Preserve Random Seed) what does that do? If i tell it no. And input the same settings for landmass, type, yadda yadda yadda, will i get the same map? I just want to know what that option does at all. Thanks ya'll!
              I think that option mainly applies to the seed the game uses for combat results and other things that need a random number. That way if you reload a game after losing a battle, you will get the same exact result.

Comment

Thanks for your help, that sheds some light on that subject.

Comment

Working...
                X