Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

300 Persians against the Babylonian KAI!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 300 Persians against the Babylonian KAI!

I don't believe that I've ever seen such an heroic AI defense, and rarely such an aggressive KAI.

Borazjan is getting POUNDED, appr. 25+ Bombers and a like number of naval bombards per turn... 5 turns so far, I think... and just keeps on hanging on.

The Babs can't get enough units through my territory to do the dirty deed, even though every Persian unit is redlined by the time of the land attack.

I think this turn may be their last... alas, Cyrus and Darius.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Theseus; August 26, 2004, 01:43.
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

And before anybody says a WORD ... yes, I am in Republic, which I friggin' hate. I was so resource-constrained in the Ancient Era that by they time I was ready for a UU-triggered GA, Republic made the most sense, and I have not been in the position nor seen the need to revolt upwards since. It has still been a huuuuge PITA, requiring too many WW-moderating buildings.

BTW, I am in a bit of a quandary here: Go for an SS win (Babs have UN), or just out of principle eject the Babs from the home continent? The problem is that the Babs have a VASTLY superior Navy and Air Force (i.e, I have none, nor a navy yet built to even take the nearby islands), and even if I clear the nearby threats they can still beat on me. Flak units, fer chrissakes, and Arty? I have no doubt that I can kick their *ss, but the initial stages of the war could be ugly. And... they have the Manhattan Project completed, and I don;t have nukes yet.

Like I said in one of the resources threads, this turned out to be a very fun and engaging game. (4000BC available, if anyone wants it)
    The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Comment

Surprised you're not commie by now, yeah. Too late now. Go for the SS.

-Arrian, who LOVES republic
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

T, please tell me you don't have an ongoing deal with the Persians that's keeping you from swooping in and stealing Borazjan right out from under Hammy's nose.

And the correct answer is, obviously, whether or not you go for the SS win, eject the Babs from the continent, set up Fortress Mesopotamia, then right after the SS is launched, open up on the Babs for the pure fun of the destruction.
        Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

What level is this? Emperor? Demi?

-Arrian, Monarch slumlord

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Republic loving Monarch slumlords

Comment

Make a ROP with the Persians and occupy every square in their territory. That oughta drive the Babs nuts.

Comment

Off the track here, I noticed you mined your grasslands when you could have irrigated those instead. Is one food unit from each square sufficent for your cities?
                Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Mined grassland = 2 food, 1 shield (2 food, 2 shields for "bonus" grassland, the ones with the little shield on them).

Mined grassland with rr = 2 food, 2 shields (3 shields for bonus grass).

Irrigated grassland = 3 food, 0 shields (3, 1 for bonus). THIS DOES NOT WORK UNDER DESPOTISM. I only mention this because I know you're new to CivIII.

Irrigated grassland w/rr = 4food, 0 shields (4, 1 for bonus grass).

Anyway, if all tiles in a city's radius are grass, the city will be at +2fpt.

Generally, mine grassland. The only time I irrigate grassland is when:

1) I'm out of despotism; and
                  2) I wish to get to +5 food per turn for a settler or worker pump; OR
                  3) I need the food to balance out lots of hills/mountains in the city radius.

Once cities hit their max pop (12 in many cases, less with tighter spacing), you typically want to balance them at no extra food intake, for maximum shield output.

-Arrian

Comment

Also, since I use a fairly tight 3-tile spacing, even with Hospitals I can't grow cities all that large. So in many cases I don't even bother, and leave them at 12 pop or below... so mined/RRed grassland is just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Solomwi
                      T, please tell me you don't have an ongoing deal with the Persians that's keeping you from swooping in and stealing Borazjan right out from under Hammy's nose.

And the correct answer is, obviously, whether or not you go for the SS win, eject the Babs from the continent, set up Fortress Mesopotamia, then right after the SS is launched, open up on the Babs for the pure fun of the destruction.
                      I did previously have deals for saltpeter AND coal with the Persians (this is the resourceless game I was talking about in the Conquests forum)... it just expired.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrian
                        What level is this? Emperor? Demi?

-Arrian, Monarch slumlord
                        Demigod.

- Theseus the Resourceless

Comment

Originally posted by Theseus

I did previously have deals for saltpeter AND coal with the Persians (this is the resourceless game I was talking about in the Conquests forum)... it just expired.
                          There's the T we all know and love.

You really had me worried for a second there.

Comment

Theseus the Resourceless
                            Resource challenged, please!

-Arrian

Comment

Thanks, guys. When you put it that way, it does make sense!
                              Who is Barinthus?

Comment

Working...
                              X