cpu usage, performance question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cpu usage, performance question

Hey all, I'm a long time lurker, this is my first post! When I'm running civ3, the task manager only shows 50% CPU usage. Ive been searching the forums, and people have reported 100% usage.. how do I get it to use all available cpu? The load times may go down dramatically I'd hope.

I'm using WinXP Pro, P4, and this is PTW 1.27f (or whichever is latest ptw patch).

I've tried assigning the process 'real time' priority, but this, or any other priority levels, seems to make any difference. Any ideas on how to speed this beast up? =)

Also, might there be any options in ptw.ini or civ3.ini that I could use to speed things up?

Thanks a lot!

I know zilch about this, but from what I've heard about CPUs and the way games are generally programmed, I doubt you're giving it much more priority than it was already grabbing.

Are you also tracking your RAM use? Could that be the bottleneck?

And what exactly is the problematic slow part? Is it just starting up the game, or are you trying to make the AIs' turns faster?

Comment

Its load time. Whats slowing it down is a huge world map dyp with 24 active civs (from 32)! =)

I was just wondering if there were any known things that could be changed or removed to speed it up. It was odd that cpu usage was only at 50% as well... =(

Thanks mate!

Comment

AFAIK loading times don't have anything to do with CPU usage.

Also, it's no really a good idea to change the prority settings unless you really know what you're doing.

It is strange though, 'cause civ indeed usually runs at a 100%,.
        What are your specs?

Don't be afraid to post btw.
        Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
        Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Heya, its a p4 2.4 nw, 512ddr400. Maybe the process only gets reduced to 50% when you alt-tab to the task manager?

Comment

It's strange indeed that it wasn't using 100% at that rate.

However, don't expect it to load fast whatever you do, regardless of your processor. Unless you're using a supercomp, Huge maps with tons of civs simply will not go fast. Settle down with something to drink and a short story collection, or something like that, when playing such maps in the late game.

Comment

haha right on, I usually listen to the radio while playing =)

I wasnt really hoping for something to take it down a lot, just seeing what could be done. I couldnt really find any extra options for the ini file, are there any lists of options for this file?

Thanks again

Comment

No, I don't know of any INI settings to speed things up. Do you have a lot of other programs running in the background?
                Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Kloreep

However, don't expect it to load fast whatever you do, regardless of your processor. Unless you're using a supercomp, Huge maps with tons of civs simply will not go fast. Settle down with something to drink and a short story collection, or something like that, when playing such maps in the late game.

MMMMMM MRAM....

And MZ's new RAM means that Civ3 loads in half a second flat. And he's given up women, apparently, too!

WOWOWOWOWOOW! Believe it!
                  Consul.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!

Comment

Working...
                  X