Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Military Academy...how's their football team?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually, if I played builder, I'd definitely use that first leader for army. Who knows when you'll see the next one?

Comment

Well, since I'm a builderer who knows how to fight (and is pretty darn good at MGL generation, thank you very much), I'm not concerned about getting another for an army. The FP is much more important.

-Arrian
      grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Now you're telling me you build the FP before Iron Working?

Comment

Actually, I hold the same views on MGL use. At the very latest, my 2nd MGL goes to the FP. Couldn't pass up the chance, though.
          Solomwi is very wise. - Imran Siddiqui

Comment

I didn't know it was possible to be able to build the FP before IW, let alone have enough cities for it to be even vaguely useful.

Comment

Playing on the settings that I do (monarch, standard, typically using commercial civs and doing a republic beeline w/CoL before philo and taking republic as the free tech), it's often quite a while before I get around to iron working. I'll trade for it once it's gone around, typically using writing, or at worst philo to get it.

Having said that, it's pretty rare to get a MGL super early for me, since all I do early on is some light harrassment (if anything) of the AI. I was just saying that if I *did* get an early MGL, it would almost always be used on the FP, because it's really best to build the FP as early as you can in Conquests due to the fact that the biggest bonus from it is in the form of the OCN boost. I try to place my FP reasonably well, of course, but at the end of the day, getting one up and running fast is most likely better than waiting for "perfect" positioning (this was largely true in PTW too, it's just that in PTW I'd then use a MGL to move my palace far far away later on, which I won't do now).

The other reason a super early MGL would be best suited for the FP, IMO, is that if I used it to build an army, what would I put in that army? I'd have to hold it empty until I mustered 3 swordsmen, or better yet 3 med inf. I love med inf armies.

-Arrian
              grog want tank...Grog Want Tank... GROG WANT TANK!

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Comment

Actually, if one doesn't mind taking somewhat unfair advantage of AI reluctance to attack healthy armies, an ultra-early army could be a very powerful and destructive pillaging weapon. I have no experience with such tactics myself, but from what I've heard, even an AI with swordsmen would allow a healthy 3-spearman army to pillage to its heart's content without lifting a finger to try to stop it, so the main limit on pillaging would be ability and willingness to fend off AI counterattacks against the player's territory. I'm less sure about how reluctant an AI would be to attack a three-archer army.

Comment

Yup you sure can pillage with an army. I have not see the AI attack any army that was at full health in the open. It leaves then alone, even when it has a strong atack unit.

It will attack them in cities, go figure. I have gotten MGL from warriors and archers, warriors is rarest of all.

I will go for an army with that leader, because you won't be able to build an FP that early, you won't have enough towns.

Comment

With an army that early, you could pretty much stop a civ in it's tracks - just kill all the settlers it sends out, and the workers. Even on Sid, with the insane bonus units it gets.

Comment

Re: Re: Military Academy...how's their football team?

Originally posted by eris
                      To discuss the thread heading rather than the thread content...

The Military Academy can be viewed as yet another University with a differently focused curriculum and a tighter dress code. But when it comes to football, they are as serious as any other educational institution that should be paying attention to education instead.

Given all this, and given that the Military Academy has only one culture point per turn while a University has 4 culture points per turn, I'd have to guess that the Military Academy's football team stinks. Big time.

I would never encourage people to put way more interpretation into the game mechanics than the developers intended. Just because I do it is no excuse for you to be that silly. But some of us here don't seem to need an excuse, do we?
                      Just so you know, the military academies started the football tradition in American Universities as a way of training its students in areas that the military institutions consider vital for military success. Areas such as pysical fitness, teamwork, comadrie, and esprit de corps were (and are) considered essential in the training of a future leader of soldiers or sailors. In fact, the tradition of comparing Football with actual warfare started with the Army teams of the early 1900's.
                      * A true libertarian is an anarchist in denial.
                      * If brute force isn't working you are not using enough.
                      * The difference between Genius and stupidity is that Genius has a limit.
                      * There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.

Comment

Working...
                      X