What if: "fixing" Argicultural trait

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if: "fixing" Argicultural trait

I know, that this probably won't happen, but I'll ask it regardless.

If Agricultural trait gets nerfed so it doesn't give extra food in despotism at all, will it be balanced?

Such change would prevent balance issues in early game, while leaving some good things for later, like half priced Aqueducts or bonus food on deserts and of course extra food in other governments.

I would still consder it as one of the better traits.

What do you think?

don't nerf my new favourite trait!

Is it really that overpowering? well yes in a way I suppose. It increases growth. And increasing growth consequently increases shields and commerce. but with industrious and commerce they increase they don't increase growth, only a nominal shield/commerce bonus.

it's good for the AI civs though. That's why I say we keep as is. The AI civs do well with this trait. At least initially.

Comment

The real problem with this trait, at least for me, is that I got addicted to it.

It's just to good to have huge bonus at start at the game, then great discount for some buildings in the middile of the game (aquaducts), plus deserts as good as plains.

Comment

I think that if they didn't get it under despotism things would balance out. Where its really killing is in the intial expansion phase, give an AI with agricultural decent terrain and it'll expand like crazy. Crazy even by AI standards, assuming it has the room.
        I don't think doing this would really weaken the trait either, cities will still grow fast once out of despotism because of the extra food/cheaper buildings. Plus turning deserts into plains is good as lead into gold in my book. :P
        "Every good communist should know political power grows out of the barrel of a gun." - Mao tse-Tung

Comment

Maybe deserts -> plains after engineering is discovered.

Comment

The benefit should disappear under anarchy at least.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Do the other traits lose their benefits in despotism or anarchy? (This isn't a rhetorical question, I really don't remember.) If they don't lose their benefits, then why should agricultural?

BTW, my favorite traits to play are scientific (I'm a math/physics teacher), agricultural (I love to eat), industrious (I may be lazy, but I don't like my minions to be), and religious (OK, I'm really agnostic, but I'll take a god who commands the masses to follow my will).
              The (self-proclaimed) King of Parenthetical Comments.

Comment

Maybe because +1food early is way too good comapred to +1 food much later in the game?

Comment

Maybe Agr Civs should pay full price for all buildings, including the Aquaduct?

That could actually be done using the editor.
                  1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
                  Templar Science Minister
                  AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

Nah, the trait is just fine as it. After all, getting the trait onl in despotism is what matters.
                    If you don't like reality, change it! me
                    "Oh no! I am bested!" Drake
                    "it is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong" Voltaire
                    "Patriotism is a pernecious, psychopathic form of idiocy" George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Re: What if: "fixing" Argicultural trait

Originally posted by player1
                      I know, that this probably won't happen, but I'll ask it regardless.

If Agricultural trait gets nerfed so it doesn't give extra food in despotism at all, will it be balanced?
                      How about doing the opposite? How about having agricultural give the food bonus ONLY when you are in despotism?
                      "Got the rock from Detroit, soul from Motown"
                      - Kid Rock "American Badass"

Comment

I endorse 'patcon' sublime position on the matter!
                        Er,
                        What of this is addressable in the editor?
                        The Graveyard Keeper
                        Of Creation Forum
                        If I can't answer you don't worry
                        I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

Working...
                        X