What's the range of ground AA?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the range of ground AA?

I try and just make fighters, because I actually know how they are going to act and somewhat know their range.

But, on many recent games, I have used ground based AA, with very poor results. Many times, it seems like my AA simply don't attack. Also, it seems that the AA has to be on the exact tile an enemy fighter or bomber attacks to do anythings. Is this true?

Also, do when it says "anti air defence" as a value on the flak or sam unit, how exactly does that work? Also, does being fortified, the terrain, and a wall, ect..., affect the defence value against an enemy air craft?

Finally, is it even worth making ground based AA? Making fighters seems like a more traditional and intelligent choice.

-Ron
    "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. " Voltaires

AA defends the same tile only -- zero range.
    As many as 4 AA units can add their AA-strength against air units, and they can use it unlimited times during a single turn.

The real AA-strength is only one-TENTH of the stated strength! Now you understand why 4 of them can "stack" their strengths.

Comment

AA units do not have to be fortified; they just have to be there.

I would not rely on AA units, but you cannot really rely on interceptors either since they only intercept 1/2 the time, and an interceptor only intercepts once per turn. Sometimes you are going into harm's way with no interceptors available, such as a long penetration into enemy territory.

BTW, the AI will rarely build any flak, or perhaps one or two in a game.

Comment

Interesting

What is the chance of an AA actually attacking an enemy bomber or fighter when it attacks over the tile?

Also, so what you have said is that 4 flaks will give you 8 air defence, being that each one is giving you 2?

-ron
        "It is forbidden to kill; therefore all murderers are punished unless they kill in large numbers and to the sound of trumpets. " Voltaires

Comment

The four don't exactly "stack" their strengths, it's they each get a shot.

Comment

...wtf ?

Lol, now you people have made it confussing. So you are saying the flaks only get one shot...and more increases the chance you will get to shoot?

-ron

Comment

An AA unit gets to attack each incoming aircraft at the square the AA unit sits on. You attack with 5 aircraft, the AA gets 5 attacks...you attack 12 times, the AA unit gets 12 attacks.

If you have multiple AA units on the defending square, EACH (up to 4 AA units) get to make their own separate attack on the incoming aircraft.

So, if I have 3 defending AA units, and you attack with aircraft 6 times, I get 3 attacks on each aircraft, for a total of 18 attacks. The advantage of AA is that they get unlimited shots per turn. The disadvantage is that they aren't exceptionally strong.

Comment

I dont know what the odds of this are, but I captured an island, droped 8 Sam Units and 6 Jets on it . Over the next 2 turns I wiped out the entire bomber force of 30 zulu bombers as they came to attack me. Mabey i got lucky, but the Sams just kept firing.
                I spend most my money on Wine, Women and Song.. the rest i just waste.

Comment

More the 4 SAM's doesn't add anything.

Comment

I must admit I have never bothered building any kind of anti-aircraft units myself...

Comment

I usually put at least 1 flak in each vulnerable city ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                      X