Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Working method to give AI free armies while giving the player none, on random map

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Working method to give AI free armies while giving the player none, on random map

EDIT: Thanks to player1, this is version 2. The major downside is mostly fixed and the demo scenario has been updated to reflect it.

As we all know, in Conquests, the AI almost never gets any armies.

It is possible to give the AI free armies while giving none to the humans, and still playing on a random map.

What you do is create a tech, then set it to be unresearchable and untradeable.

Now, you need to get this tech to the AI but not the players. Assign it to all civs, under the Civilizations tag. Assign all Civs this new tech, as well as their default ones. Now everyone will get the new tech.

Next, using the custom player data, assign player 1 as the human. Then, uncheck civilization defaults under player one. Now, the human won't get the new AI only tech. I would assign two of the starting techs to player one. Here the only downside to the mod comes into play. The human will not get his starting techs by default. You will have to assign him some. If you know you are going to play a certain civ you can go into the editor and giv it the right techs before you play, otherwise you can just assign a couple of the starting techs. It's not quite as good as automatically getting techs based on your traits but I think the trade off is worth it. (thanks to player1 for showing me a better way to make the tech AI only)

Then, create a small wonder. Set the pre req for this small wonder to the tech you created and gave to the AI players. Set the shield cost super low, and make it generate armies every X turns.

The AI will build this small wonder right away, taking about three to five turns if you minimze the shield cost. Once it does, it will get the armies, I've set up a test scenario. This could severely increase the challenge of a game.

All random options are still available, you can play a random map of any size and type against whatever number of civs you want, there is really only one disadvantage that I can think of.

I realize those starting techs represent a lot of the strategy of the early game, but on the other hand, facing AI armies will increase the challenge for the rest of the game. But, the player will still get starting techs, they just might not be the exact ones his civ would normally get.

I have attached a very simple and primitive scenario showing that it does indeed work. Pretty much it's only purpose is to easily show you that the AI does get the armies and so you can see what I did to make it do this.

It's on debug mode, so you can simply fortify and watch as the AI builds the wonders and rakes in the armies (the wonders build fast and the armies come every 3 turns to reduce your waiting time in this demo). Feel free to set the opposing civs to random. That's pretty much it about the scenario.

I switched the Espionge Agency to the army producing building and switched Integrated Defense to the AI only tech, just because it was easier than making new techs and wonders.

If someone has posted this exact way to get the AI using armies before, then I apologize, but I did some searches and didn't find anything. Hope this is helpful.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Action; July 10, 2004, 15:44.

Good idea.
    Personnaly, I avoid making army generating wodners, since often AI players instead of filling armies with units, just add one unit and garrison them in the city.

But this method is promising, since it gives armies to AIs only, making it less exploitable by human player.

Comment

Idea for tech solution could be to add that tech to civs in Civilizations screen, not players tab, and then only modify player1 as non-default at players tab.

Of course, only drawback is that human player won't have techs depending from civ traits.

Comment

Originally posted by player1
        Idea for tech solution could be to add that tech to civs in Civilizations screen, not players tab, and then only modify player1 as non-default at players tab.

Of course, only drawback is that human player won't have techs depending from civ traits.
        Hmm that is a good idea, thanks.

Comment

On the General Tab, At start unit #2 for AI's. Give each AI ten or fifteen Armies. Follow the suggestions in these threads to make sure the AI stuffs and uses these Armies:

The Graveyard Keeper
          Of Creation Forum
          If I can't answer you don't worry
          I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

as i've posted before, its a lot easier.

Set Army cost to 0, and let every wonder (small and big + palace) be able to build armies... volia .... the AI suddenly builds armies and uses them in offensive battles quite often!

Comment

I agree, excepting I think he wants to curb the human from taking to much advantage of said arrangements.
              The Graveyard Keeper
              Of Creation Forum
              If I can't answer you don't worry
              I'll send you elsewhere

Comment

the limit is still 1 army per 4 cities... thats a nice limit... perhaps if you build a lot of cities, just increase it to 6 or 8 cities.

Comment

By the way, if somebody doesn't know, army generating wonders (free army every X turns) break maximum number of armies cap.
                  For example if you have just one city and such wonder, you'll still get new armies.

Comment

very true... thats why you can't let that happen.

Best method IMO is still "my way". Set cost to 0 and allow every small/big wonder + palace to build it.

Comment

Doesn't that leave human player with so many armies that game becomes way to easy?

Comment

All this argument aside about whether or not to get the AI some armies to use... Of what use is it, if the AI doesn't actively load up the armies to utilize them properly. Has this aspect been thoroughly tested/debugged yet?

Comment

Well, sometimes AI does fully load up armies.
                          In those cases AI utilizes them well.

Unfortunately, more often, AI just loads one unit in army and waits in the city passively.

What exactly triggers "activating" armies is still unknown.

Comment

I haven't seen much mention of it in the AU 503 DARs (and haven't finished mine yet), but I saw a LOT of AI Army usage there.
                            The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Probably those few "activated" armies (AI does know to use them for good).

But, I bet that when taking AI cities with Military Academy, you'll encounter a lot of 1unit filled amries that do nothing.

Comment

Working...
                              X