intercontinental attack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vmxa1
    If you use the flip calculator you can see that there some value to having more than 3 units in a captured city.

In fact you may need quite a few for quite a number of turns.
    There is some value just after the city is taken. I always have a number of units in the city equal to the number of resisters plus 1 or 2 (or greater). After the resistance ends (in a turn or two) I only station two defensive units inside. I haven't seen anything flip so far this year, I usually have the highest total culture in a game and when I'm on an offensive the frontlines are moving forward fairly quick.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Mariola , sounds like you got the basics there

Your 'killing field' strategy has worked very well for me in every civ-game I've seen so far. In fact, this strategy alone is often enough to win most games. Just find a nice defensive position where the AI just *have* to attack you and bleed him white.

A few minor suggestion for your next invasion:

-You might want to bring a second worker to build a radar tower(if you got the tech)

-Learn the basics of flipping, enough units will completely prevent a flip(we're talking 2-3 units per citizen or more), starve it down to size one ASAP. Also, I don't think the city will ever flip on the first turn.

-what roads did you destroy btw, those directly next to your city or those one tile out?

I think I will duplicate your attack in my current game btw. I'm playing a somehow relaxed game this time(no aggressive oscillating wars so far) and the Iroquis is getting big and greedy. Time for a trimming
      Don't eat the yellow snow.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278

I only station two defensive units inside. I haven't seen anything flip so far this year, I usually have the highest total culture in a game and when I'm on an offensive the frontlines are moving forward fairly quick.
        Not sure if you've seen the flip calculator that vmxa1 refers to, but if you haven't you should

The number of resisting and non-resisting foreigners in the captured city is clearly a factor in determining the flip chance, but you should get those under control fairly soon with your garrison and through starvation.

Howver, one important factor that will take longer for you to resolve is the number of city tiles under AI influence. If you've just taken the city, you will only have 9 city tiles, and chances are there are several of the 21 tiles radius that are inside AI territory. Until you've built a Temple/Library + 4/5 turns for the culture expansion (hopefully!), this will probably be your biggest flip risk factor!

Please, look at the flip calculator. You will be very surprised. Based on my experience, you will almost certainly be taking a significant risk by stationinig only 2 units inside a captured city on a frontline.
        Last edited by Aqualung71; July 10, 2004, 11:56.
        So if you meet me have some courtesy, have some sympathy and some taste
        Use all your well-learned politesse, or I'll lay your soul to waste

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS

Comment

Here it is:

Edit: I will always have the latest version linked in to the first post so you don't have to go looking through the thread for it... Please note that Version 1.5 contains a significant change to the distance formula, you should update to this version straight away. Version 1.5 'Distance'...

Comment

Temples are almost always my first build choice in a conquered city. Colesseums usually follow. Thats for unrest management as well as culture.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
            X