No announcement yet.

To restart or not to restart: that is the question:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

restarting is evil, and the quick start button is worse...

it's just so easy to restart, I barely play anymore because of that

Comment

lately, after reading this thread, I've been restarting more often. One reason is I'm playing a higher difficulty level, and a good start is crucial. Another is I don't like starting too close to ther civs. And a third reason is some of you alls bad habit wear off on me . I don't restart medicore starts though, just bad ones. I'm perfectly fine with only 1 resource in my city radius (either the starting or expanded one), it doesn't matter what it is. If there are no resources, and no river, I will definately consider restarting. I explore a few turns first though.

Comment

I've been playing off and on for about six months, and have slogged through about 3 or 4 chieftain games abandoned at various points. My first win, I reloaded and replayed the modern era several times with different strategies, e.g. which neighbor to wipe out first, how to deal with corruption, build/fight cycles, tech tree exploration, weapons testing, etc.

I played just one Warlord game and learned a huge amount. I reloaded several times, honing my warmongering skills. By the modern era I was dominant, and it was clear that with enough patient, I could roll over the entire planet. The thirst for total conquest was strong, but it's time consuming and I abandoned the game, confident I could win in whichever way I chose.

I'm drawing to the close of my first Regent game, and I've learned a lot. I made some mistakes and played out alternate scenarios. I am the preeminent civilization on the planet, but there is much conquest left. I plan to try out several different military strategies. I also have the production capacity for a major doomsday scenario--I plan to try out the armaggedon strategy at least once. It's 1818 and I'm the tech leader with the capacity to build ICBMs. I plan to try out one scenario where I build nothing but ICBMs, tactical nukes, and nuclear subs. I'd like to lay waste to an entire continent with one turn. That will be fun.

I've learned a hell of a lot by being able to reload. I never do it to change combat outcomes--but I generally do it to explore different 100-200 year scenarios (building vs warmongering, fight this civ vs that civ, selling tech, horde tech, buy tech, culture hording, great wonder building, etc).

I'm in a position in my Regent game to win (which is fun). I'll try out several ways to find out which is the fastest / most fun / most challenging, etc.

I'll be on Monarch level next week. Emperor in a month (if all goes well).

Comment

Originally posted by diablovision
          I plan to try out the armaggedon strategy at least once. It's 1818 and I'm the tech leader with the capacity to build ICBMs. I plan to try out one scenario where I build nothing but ICBMs, tactical nukes, and nuclear subs. I'd like to lay waste to an entire continent with one turn. That will be fun.
          Damn tootin'!!

Everybody should try this at least once... you definitely want to have built the SMD though.

Post some screenshots when you do it, so we can all enjoy the show.!
          The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.

Comment

Working...
          X