Problems with AMD 64?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with AMD 64?

Has anyone experienced problems with Civ 3 and PTW using AMD 64 processor?

I recently upgraded my machine (after many years) and found that the games would not load. After loading the game to get to the screen choosing world size, etc., the move to the next step will freeze the program and the "Do you want to send an error report to Microsoft" note comes up. The only detail is the technical garbage that goes with that notification. Any clues?

I have no problems with my 64 chip.
    I have some long sessions on civ as well without needing a re-boot etc.

Sorry.

When I first built the system I had some stability problems which I tracked down to my high quality matched pair expensive RAM.
    Apparently alot of the 'early' (and probably current) MoBo's are a bit picky over what RAM is used - I exchanged mine for some cheaper single sided stuff and have had no problems since.
    Oh - I had to ditch my SB Audigy 1 as well - just would not work!

Comment

Are those issues fixed now?? What with the 969 pin MBs/procs coming out.
      Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
      Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Never was able to resolve this. Not sure if it is related to the AMD 64. I have a 754 pin processor - 3200+. The issues are two-fold - jumbled fonts on the screens and an "Unable to allocate draw buffer" error which crashes the game any time a settler begins a city.

I've tried all of the fixes noted at the support site but no luck. This did work on my old Dell PII running Win 98. No other issues with any other applications/games. I have an email in wth their support group but have only gotten back the items alredy noted on the support page.

Don't know where to go from here.

Comment

Last edited by Ari Rahikkala; August 5, 2004, 13:35.
          This is Shireroth, and Giant Squid will brutally murder me if I ever remove this link from my signature | In the end it won't be love that saves us, it will be mathematics | So many people have this concept of God the Avenger. I see God as the ultimate sense of humor -- SlowwHand

Comment

Thanks - this thread exactly describes the issues I face though I think I took all of these steps - I will verify that tonight.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
            X