Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rise of Rome

hi,

for my second conquest, I was going to play Carthage in Rise of Rome.
    I cannot help but feel that Carthage begins this conquest
    in a very awkward position
    no cash (70 gold vs 800 gold for those who start with Rome)
    and a very decentralised empire (coast of africa and spain)
    with a high corruption government
    how can anyone get any research done ???

One would think that at the beginning of the second punic war, Rome and Carthage would be more of an even match ?

Carthage is in a very awkward position. I've played the scenario a few times as Rome, once as Macedon, and once as Persia.
    Never even tried as Carthage, but now I'm curious. How did it play out for you? I imagine production rather than research would be the way to go, and it would be essential to hit Rome early, hard, and often. Allies would be necessary, too.
    I just might give it a go myself.
    "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

exactly my thoughts.

You have to hit them before they get the upgraded legionare units. Or you're toast. Once you get those nice roman cities...

I can't remember how bad corruption was in this scenario. I don't remember it being that bad. Those roman cities should be able to produce some troops once you take them.

Comment

Agreed, turn reserach off and rush units to deliver some crippling blows to Rome ASAP with the objetive of keeping them from ever being able to build an upgraded legionare. I wouldn't build wonders yet either.

After the destruction of Rome is complete, then turn on research in your cities which should be quite good with Italy added to your empire.
        1st C3DG Term 7 Science Advisor 1st C3DG Term 8 Domestic Minister
        Templar Science Minister
        AI: I sure wish Jon would hurry up and complete his turn, he's been at it for over 1,200,000 milliseconds now.

Comment

The Celts would be good ally. They could keep Rome busy up north for a fair bit.
          "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

It should be Rome vs. The World anyway.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
              It should be Rome vs. The World anyway.
              that's nearly how it was when I played as Rome. It can be difficult indeed. I was surprised how tough the Celts UU was. And the Greek UU.

The Egyptians are easy to roll through. When playing the Carthagians I suggest knocking out the Egyptians and Persians after knocking out Rome.

Comment

Carthage and Greece gave me the most grief. The others were just an annoyance.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I played this Scenario once and made the mistake of spending to much time worrying about conqueoring the Celts and Goths. By the time I got to killing the Carthagians the Persians had taken all of Greece and that other Barbarian Tribe...they were sitting at 46 percent of Population with 25 Turns left.
                  I took over all of Carthage but they migrated south to Egypt which I tried to penetrate but some of my galleys got sunk and I only managed a foothold.
                  With Time Winding down I needed to fight Persia (to win with Pop or Domination) I sent 35 Legion III over and conqueored Greece pushing into Persia territory...then the crap hit the fan...Those buggers (who has been at war the whole game) I ran into their upgraded Ancient Calvary and they had 45 units roaming around and attacking. After taking Greece I was 2% away from the Population Victory with 5 turns left...I quickly made peace hopeing to sneak in an Attack on a 10 POP city to secure the win and before they counter. Well long of the short they spread out all their horses in clusters of 12 and I had no choice but to fight my way through it. Ended up losing because I didn't have enough units left to take the city. I beleive I played on Monarch.
                  "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Comment

you didn't win on score? I admit I could not achieve dominance in this scenario. But I did win on score.

Comment

No..The Persians Edged me out in that Category as well even though I had discovered all my techs so my Luxaries was at 100%.

I really have a problem with that 'Scoring' System..based on Happiness and Exploration..I just don't understand how that is a valid measuring stick for success.
                      "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."

- Napoleon Bonaparte (1769-1821)

Comment

Working...
                      X