C3C won't install after uninstalling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• C3C won't install after uninstalling

Okay, I installed the latest patch for C3C, and when I went to play it, there were severe graphical problems. Text wasn't displaying properly and there were a bunch of things out of place. Like, where it was supposed to say Play Last World it said Barricade, and where it was supposed to say New Game it said Build Barricade (wierd). It still did what it was supposed to, but in the world setup screen, there were a bunch of funky things. Stuff that was supposed to show up in one area was showen in another (for example, the Restless option for barbarians was showing under the world map display) and a bunch of other stuff like that.

Anyway, so i figured reinstalling it would help. I thought I told it to reinstall it without the patch, but it came up and I had hte same problem. I didn't see any option anywhere to uninstall the patch, so I just figured I'd uninstall it and reinstall it again. So, I uninstalled it (I didn't have any important saved games), and I put it back into the CD-drive and it began installing. Every thing was going fine until it hit 74%. It stayed there for a while, then it showed a pop-up that said exactly this

Component: Play the World
    File Group: PTW Language Independent
    File: E:\data2.cab
    Error: Incorrect Function

The file that it was installing at the time was

C:\... \Civilization III\Civ3PTW\Art\Flics\x_Hannibal diplo mid fwrd.flc

I can't quite tell if there's a space before the backspace in the second "phrase" thingy.

Anyone who has any clue as to what happened can you please help me? I even tried to install it twice. It was the exact smae error both times.
    I always hear about the innocent bystanders. Where are all of the guilty ones? -Vince278

Not really, but I take this is not XP. In XP you have an option to remove patches with the add/remove program tool.

So is this Win98? If so I would use add/remove to remove all of Civ. Delete the directory for it. Run Regedit to find any entries for Civ and remove them as well.

Then install original CivIII, do not apply any patches. Then install C3C. Try to run it and see if it works ok. If so, then if you have the last 1.22 patch (date is around May) apply it and see if it still works.

If i now fails repeat and then not add in 1.22.

Comment

Actually, it is XP.

So, you're saying that I never needed to actually uninstall the game in the first place? Help me out here because, as oyu can tell, I'm very computer illiterate.
      I always hear about the innocent bystanders. Where are all of the guilty ones? -Vince278

Comment

In XP if you go to the start menu and select control panel you get a tool called add/remove programs. It looks like this:
        Attached Files

Comment

Selecting one of the updates for C3C, such as the lates 1.121 update, I will get a popup to remove or change it. If I remove it XP will handle backing off that patch. I can back off each patch one at a time.

I could then go on to remove the game, if I wanted. I do the hard way and remove each patch LIFO (last in first out) and then C3C and then PTW and then CivIII. Removing any patches if any for each app along the way.

I then run RegEdit to remove any entries for Civ. I want a completely clean system, before I install again.

Comment

Working...
          X