AI plea for peace -- just kidding!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AI plea for peace -- just kidding!

I'm playing C3C with the latest patch. I'm in several military conflicts and I'm currently holding my own or winning on every front.

Since I've been taking this fight to the enemy, I'm getting this pop-up with increasing regularity after each bombardment, bombing or attack.

At first, I thought that my superior military power was feared and that this desperate plea for negotation from the frontline enemy troops was an indication that the enemy was "ready to deal".

At first, I would agree to meet and see what kind of deal I could hammer out. Well, the terms were like "we will give you peace IF you give us a bunch of money and techs!" Are they crazy? They interrupt my bombing for this pathethic deal????

At first it was funny, but I get this popup all the time. Of course I select "Nothing, sorry" each time (why do I have to say "sorry" anyway), but it's getting tedious.

Any ideas? I don't remember seeing these messages at all in the past.
    Attached Files
    Haven't been here for ages....

This "Take me to your leader" is what you get when you click on another civ's unit.

If you are not intentionally clicking on another civ's unit then perhaps your mouse software is acting up, in which case a computer restart will probably resolve it.

Comment

Interesting. I've yet to see this pop-up. And I'm fairly certain I've clicked on a hostile unit at least once in all the hours I've played.
      "Guess what? I got a fever! And the only prescription is ... more cow bell!"

Comment

It's happening repeatedly without me clicking on another unit. I have played, saved, restarted maybe 10 times with the same results.

However, I'm only playing one game, not multiple games experiencing this popup.

Also, take another look at the graphic. There is no "American Rifleman" anywhere near this location. That's pretty typical. I'm bombing Zulus and the "american" popup comes up. That's not errant clicking...
        Last edited by Shogun Gunner; June 25, 2004, 17:34.

Comment

I've seen it when left-clicking on AI units, but not with the frequency you're describing. I agree it must be your mouse software.
          "We may be in a hallucination here, but that's no excuse for being delusional!." K.S. Robinson, 'The Years Of Rice And Salt.'

Comment

I get this when directing an artillery stack to do multiple bombardments by left clicking repeatedly and haven’t found it annoying enough to really delve into. My take was always that the software is a bit sensitive as to timing and a bit of initial testing led me to believe that you can correct it by changing the mouse click response time.

Edit: If you're getting responses from units of a different tribe than you're bombarding, as it sounds from your post, then I have no explanation and would expect a bit of Twilight Zone theme music to be playing when it happened.
            Last edited by Drachen; June 26, 2004, 00:40.
            The law, in its majestic equality, forbids the rich as well as the poor to sleep under bridges, to beg in the streets, and to steal bread.

Anatole France

Comment

Post a save and I will see if it happens to me. Also enable the color blind support and we can see the civ name. The color does not mean much.

Comment

Cute. Never seen that before.
                "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                2004 Presidential Candidate
                2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Here's the save.

I'm at war with Zulus, Mongols, French and Russians. Bomb the Zulus and I will get the sometimes message from the Mongols and vice versa.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I loaded it and bombed Mongols and Zulu, but did not get any pop up msgs, even when I ran my mouse over them.

Comment

Thanks for checking vmxa1. It must be my system...

Comment

Originally posted by TheArsenal
                        Interesting. I've yet to see this pop-up. And I'm fairly certain I've clicked on a hostile unit at least once in all the hours I've played.
                        One click will merely center the map on the unit's tile; you have to double click to get the "Take me to your leader" pop-up.

Comment

Thanks for the help everyone... I've determined that it was the touchpad on my laptop that was causing the problems.

I took Jaybe's suggestion and fiddled with the sensitivity settings... apparently my palm was ever so slightly coming into contact with the touchpad -- triggering the messages.

If I could personify a bit, the AI players were probably going nuts with my constant request for a meeting with their leader!!!

Comment

yeah I just found out you get that by double clicking a unit. Something I never do really. I usually right click an enemy unit to open up diplomacy. Or hit the D bottom in the bottom right corner.

Comment

Working...
                            X