Capturing Enemy Units

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capturing Enemy Units

Are there any circumstances in which the game will allow you to capture military units?

You can capture artillery units, workers, and settlers (which are converted to workers upon capture). That's it for basic capture.

The only other cases of capture include units that may "enslave" enemy units. In stock C3C, that includes the English Man-O-War unique unit, which upon victory in a naval battle has a chance of "enslaving" the defeated enemy naval unit into another English Man-O-War (though typically I believe only as a "regular" unit).

The Mayan Javelin Thrower unique unit also has the "enslave" ability, but in the case of the Javelin Thrower, the chance is that a defeated unit may be converted into a captured worker for the Mayan player.

That's it, AFAIK.
    Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
    Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
    7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Doesn't the Privateer unit behave similar to the Man-O-War?

Also, I think Explorers can be captured.

Comment

i think explorers are killed. or maybe those were just barbarians, i'm not sure, but i think they just die?
        I use Posturepedic mattresses for a lifetime of temporary relief.

Comment

Scouts are killed, that's for sure. I've lost enough to know.

I've never built an explorer for the express purpose of slaughter, though. I would assume the same result (dead).
          -------------------------------------------
          There is no teacher but the enemy.

Comment

Ah, yes, I think you're right about privateers. I've never used them for that, though.
            Long-time poster on Apolyton and WePlayCiv
            Consul of Apolyton from the 1st Civ3 Inter-Site Democracy Game (ISDG)
            7th President of Apolyton in the 1st Civ3 Democracy Game

Comment

Scouts are captured *if attacked by an expansionist civ*. Explorers are captured if the attacking civ has discovered Astronomy.

Comment

Thanks guys, everyone who's answered. I have been reading my Civ manuals, but haven't came across that yet.

Now, about these naval captures, is this an every time event or is there a precentage chance it could happen?

Comment

a percentage chance

good luck with that

we did some tests a few months ago, playing the same turn 30 times and seeing the results of several English "Man-O-War" in action....

the results were very hit and miss, with some interesting / funny differences

hope you are enjoying the game
                  Gurka 17, People of the Valley
                  I am of the Horde.

Comment

Originally posted by Kucinich
                    Scouts are captured *if attacked by an expansionist civ*. Explorers are captured if the attacking civ has discovered Astronomy.
                    Eh? I don't think either is correct.

Comment

Originally posted by CyberChrist

Eh? I don't think either is correct.
                      What happens is this: You can capture a unit ONLY if you have the capability of building it yourself. That means that if the unit requires a Civ trait that you do not possess (Expansionist), or a technology that you have not yet gained, or if it is a UU (Korean rocket cart thingy), then the unit will be killed instead of captured, since your men do not know how to use the unit.
                      Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

You can capture scouts. I just ran a test in C3C to prove it.
                        Make a map with an island that you and one other civ are on.

Set player1 to Russia and player2 to US. Use custom for all and give player1 a calv unit to start.

Now send the calv over and capture the scout. In my test I grabbed the worker and the scout went into the capitol.

I captured the capitol, ending the civ and ending up with a scout added. I use chief for the test to make sure no extra units.

Comment

Does the AI ever build Explorers? Can't recall having seen any ...
                          Why can't you be a non-conformist just like everybody else?

It's no good (from an evolutionary point of view) to have the physique of Tarzan if you have the sex drive of a philosopher. -- Michael Ruse
                          The Nedaverse I can accept, but not the Berzaverse. There can only be so many alternate realities. -- Elok

Comment

Originally posted by vmxa1
                            You can capture scouts. I just ran a test in C3C to prove it.
                            Make a map with an island that you and one other civ are on.

Set player1 to Russia and player2 to US. Use custom for all and give player1 a calv unit to start.

Now send the calv over and capture the scout. In my test I grabbed the worker and the scout went into the capitol.

I captured the capitol, ending the civ and ending up with a scout added. I use chief for the test to make sure no extra units.
                            Note that both the US and Russia are Expansionist civilizations. A non-Expansionist civ will kill scouts instead of capturing them.
                            Those who live by the sword...get shot by those who live by the gun.

Comment

Working...
                            X